1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tumult parallel wired?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Dixon, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

I placed my order for a Tumult. I'm going to build a sealed .577qtc box first. If that isn't enough I'll look into PR or wrapped/bent slot port box like Dan Wiggins mentioned in another thread.

I would like to ask a question though. When modeling with unibox4.0 if I enter the specs for parallel wired it requires a larger box but is more efficient. Now if the high power plate amps come to be, is there any side affect of running at 1 ohm? Other than the larger enclosure.

I just hope the amps will be 1 ohm stable because I'm not sure what I could do if they are only 2ohm stable. Purchase 2 and drive each voice coil separately? I'm not sure if that's a good idea or even recommended.

If the plate amps don't work I'll have to convince my wife on a rack amp somehow. Picking winning lottery numbers is more likely.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

Jack,
    I was changing the RE and LE. For series I used 3.2ohms and 4.2mH. For parallel I used .8ohms and 1.05mH.

I could try one of the amps that Kyle sells already, I was just hoping to save a few bucks.

For a really stupid question. Would it hurt anything to build a rack amp(qsc, crown, etc) into/onto the enclosure? It would be on the back but that would get around the wife issue.

Thanks,
    Brad