Tumult parallel wired?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Dixon, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

I placed my order for a Tumult. I'm going to build a sealed .577qtc box first. If that isn't enough I'll look into PR or wrapped/bent slot port box like Dan Wiggins mentioned in another thread.

I would like to ask a question though. When modeling with unibox4.0 if I enter the specs for parallel wired it requires a larger box but is more efficient. Now if the high power plate amps come to be, is there any side affect of running at 1 ohm? Other than the larger enclosure.

I just hope the amps will be 1 ohm stable because I'm not sure what I could do if they are only 2ohm stable. Purchase 2 and drive each voice coil separately? I'm not sure if that's a good idea or even recommended.

If the plate amps don't work I'll have to convince my wife on a rack amp somehow. Picking winning lottery numbers is more likely.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

Jack,
    I was changing the RE and LE. For series I used 3.2ohms and 4.2mH. For parallel I used .8ohms and 1.05mH.

I could try one of the amps that Kyle sells already, I was just hoping to save a few bucks.

For a really stupid question. Would it hurt anything to build a rack amp(qsc, crown, etc) into/onto the enclosure? It would be on the back but that would get around the wife issue.

Thanks,
    Brad