What's new

Tumult & HS500 amp (1 Viewer)

Richard_M

Second Unit
I have a question regarding a Tumult

As I am Down Under in the land of Oz, we have a distributor for Adire Audio, now I was curious if the output of a Tumult & HS500 amp would equal say a SVS PB2+ in both sound and low down output. I don't have any enclosure sizes available but I am looking at either getting a Tumult built or importing 1 maybe 2x PB2+, either, by the way will be an expensive exercise for me.

The up side at the moment for going with the Tumult is the local support.

Thanks

Richard

Richard_M

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Peter,

Looks like I might be better off with the SVS then, as both the driver & amp are about $2k Aus,with no enclosure, so to up the amp to 1.5kW I would hate to think what that will cost me.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
SVS has always been pretty good at bang for the buck woofage. A pro amp would get you reasonably priced power for the Tumult, but I don't know what's available "down under". :)

Pete

Richard_M

Second Unit
Hi Guys,

I am going to listen to a Tumult tomorrow with the HS500 in a 140L ported enclosure. I am sure there will be a single Tempest there as well, so Frank how should I try and compare the 2 units? I am sure if there is a tempest there it will be probably hooked up to a Redgum RGSW2 plate amp. Power Output - 200Watt RMS @ 8ohms - 300Watt @ 4ohms

I will also get pricing on the driver & enclosure, but what 1.5kw pro amp should I look out for? I will ring a few shops tomorrow, for pricing & availability. At the moment I am also waiting for a price from SVS for some PB2+'s.

Thanks

Eric Eash

Second Unit
Looks like I might be better off with the SVS then, as both the driver & amp are about $2k Aus,with no enclosure, so to up the amp to 1.5kW I would hate to think what that will cost me.
actually, i have a QSC RMX1450 which in bridged mode will put out close to 1.5kW of power, all for around $300.
not to discourage you, but i got a quote from SVS for the same sub to here in japan and shipping alone was over $300. i currently have a dual AV15 sub with 450W going to each, and i'm sure it will crush a PB2+ in output. if you went dual tempest, dual AV15, or dual tumult with a QSC RMX amp, you could probably reach B4+ territory or more. all you need is tools and wood, it's not really that hard to build a box. i just built my own, if you search for my post you'll see it, and it only cost me around $1200 including everything, even shipping. i took my time building it, and i had tons of fun in the process. good luck to you.

eric

Richard_M

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Eric

I have had a look at your sub and love what you did, I had actually read that thread when you posted it. Okay I have checked out the QSC RMX1450, and I see it has a fan(I just hate fan noise), how noisey is this fan when there is a quiet passage or say you are changing DVD's?

The good part is these amps are available here so I will keep this as an option.

How is your new sub sounding, getting better as the drivers settle down I bet? Caused any earthquake alerts? :)

I think your toy should be registered :D

Richard

Eric Eash

Second Unit
the sub is doing great. i don't have any impressions yet as i'm waiting for an SPL meter so i can properly calibrate it, but i have turned it up a few times and everything shakes. it's nice. the amp does have a fan and i bought mine used w/ a quieter fan installed. you can't hear the fan unless you are close enough to the amp to touch it, and even then it's pretty quiet. i've taken the top panel off to paint it as it was severely scratched, and it looks like changing the fan would be a piece of cake.

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks