"Tumult" Denali vs SVS PB2+

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike Sloan, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

Without factoring in the cost differential...would the SVS PB2+ hold its own against the Denali (single 15" Tumult/(2) 18" PR's?) I don't think anyone has actually commented on the performance of either sub...especially since SVS hasn't released the PB2+ yet......but what do you DIY guys think?

No motives other than pure curiosity!

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I've never even seen a picture of a completed Denali.. I'd bet it's going to be a killer sub though.. [​IMG]

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Just going by the numbers they should be quite close. I'm not going to get any more specific in fears of starting a flame war[​IMG]

I'll have a Denali cabinet next week but wont have a finished unit until the amplifiers come in which will be a couple weeks still.

I do have an Everest cabinet if anybody wants to see [​IMG]

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Hi Kyle:

When you build a Pinnacle Series Everest or Denali sub, do you allow the customer to select the tune point via different weight PRs, or do you have pre-selected PRs for the Everest and Denali that have been researched and proven to work the best? If so, what is the rated extension for each model?

Thanks,

Ed

6. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Man, this is a loaded question.After agonizing over a sub choice for the last 3 months and talking with Brian, Kyle, and Kevin at DIY cables I think I have decided on the PB2+. I haven't seen any real life numbers on the Tumult finished. It probably is going to be one hell of a driver with great resutls. Each one of these gentelmen are very knowlegdgeable and I have heard nothing but good things about them and their companies. To fill my 7500+ cubic Ft. room with Hit you in the chest bass is going to take alot. Any of these subs coupled with my VSA S/3 would do the job. I look forward to seeing the reveiws on the Denali and Everest and will write one on the PB2+_ when it finally gets here. It would be awesome to see a face-off in the future!
    Steve

7. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Edward,
    The tuning point is preselected so the only option for the consumer is the veneer choice.
    F3 point of the subwoofer is 18Hz.

Brian,
    No it isnt loaded yet, just a large, finished enclosure with lots of large circles cut in it [​IMG] I'm waiting for my stock of Tumults which will be delivered after the preorders go out.

8. Edward J M

9. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I don't want to start an argument with this post...simply to question the logic of a statement. And Steve, I mean absolutely NO offense:

10. Edward J M

11. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

12. Edward J M

13. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi guys,

We have one review lined up for the PB-2+ and are working on another. We are also trying to get a review for the PB-1 in the works, but those have been selling so fast they are now on a slight back order basis.In either case, it will be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before the reviews are in print form...as *lead time* factors in of course.

We have the upcoming B4+ review from John Johnson...and we do have reviews from Weatherhead, Ferstler, Johnson, Kotches and Nousaine linked on our website that contain plenty of objective performance verification of our products. Of course it takes a lot of hard work to have a product from a small company like SVS reviewed in the first place. So instead of wasting time trading wisecracks ...I'll spend the time WORKING to arrange as many professional reviews of our products as I can. I would hope other manufacturers would share the same goal.

Tom V.
    SVS

15. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Dan,
    No offense taken. Like Edward said Tom has been running test mules for some time now and after 2 25 minute conversations with Tom the numbers he gave me sold me. I bought one of the first 20-39cs a few years back and was impressed with what it did with only 300 watts in a 7500+ cubic ft. room. As I said I have no doubt that the Tumult will live up to its expectations and it was a damn hard decision to make between the Denali, PB2+, B4+, and the Diy Cables sub. Factoring in price vs. performance I chose the PB2+. Remember, I have a Von Schweikert S/3 sub which is no slouch and is impressing me now that the Servo 15 is gone. With these 2 subs I hope I can get close to reference bass in this room.
    steve