What's new

"Tumult" Denali vs SVS PB2+ (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Without factoring in the cost differential...would the SVS PB2+ hold its own against the Denali (single 15" Tumult/(2) 18" PR's?) I don't think anyone has actually commented on the performance of either sub...especially since SVS hasn't released the PB2+ yet......but what do you DIY guys think?

No motives other than pure curiosity!

Chip E

Screenwriter
I've never even seen a picture of a completed Denali.. I'd bet it's going to be a killer sub though.. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Just going by the numbers they should be quite close. I'm not going to get any more specific in fears of starting a flame war:)

I'll have a Denali cabinet next week but wont have a finished unit until the amplifiers come in which will be a couple weeks still.

I do have an Everest cabinet if anybody wants to see :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Kyle:

When you build a Pinnacle Series Everest or Denali sub, do you allow the customer to select the tune point via different weight PRs, or do you have pre-selected PRs for the Everest and Denali that have been researched and proven to work the best? If so, what is the rated extension for each model?

Thanks,

Ed

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Man, this is a loaded question.After agonizing over a sub choice for the last 3 months and talking with Brian, Kyle, and Kevin at DIY cables I think I have decided on the PB2+. I haven't seen any real life numbers on the Tumult finished. It probably is going to be one hell of a driver with great resutls. Each one of these gentelmen are very knowlegdgeable and I have heard nothing but good things about them and their companies. To fill my 7500+ cubic Ft. room with Hit you in the chest bass is going to take alot. Any of these subs coupled with my VSA S/3 would do the job. I look forward to seeing the reveiws on the Denali and Everest and will write one on the PB2+_ when it finally gets here. It would be awesome to see a face-off in the future!
Steve

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Edward,
The tuning point is preselected so the only option for the consumer is the veneer choice.
F3 point of the subwoofer is 18Hz.

Brian,
No it isnt loaded yet, just a large, finished enclosure with lots of large circles cut in it :) I'm waiting for my stock of Tumults which will be delivered after the preorders go out.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The tuning point is preselected so the only option for the consumer is the veneer choice. F3 point of the subwoofer is 18Hz.
Thanks, Kyle! :emoji_thumbsup: I'm sure that specification will help answer a lot of questions as the inevitable bench racing shoot-outs continue. ;)

Regards,

Ed

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I don't want to start an argument with this post...simply to question the logic of a statement. And Steve, I mean absolutely NO offense:

I haven't seen any real life numbers on the Tumult finished.
Have you seen any real life PB2+ numbers?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Have you seen any real life PB2+ numbers?
Naturally, no. What we (the collective HTF community) have seen is a number of SVS applications with the TC Sounds dB12 driver. Namely the CS-Plus, PC-Plus, and B4-Plus lines.

It has been no secret that the PB2-Plus will have a FR and tune point very similar to the 25-31PC-Plus. That being a 25 Hz stock tune with the capability of tuning to 20 and 16 Hz by plugging port(s) albeit with some associated loss of output.

From an SPL standpoint, Tom V has stated it will perform just shy of dual co-located 25-31PC-Plus cylinders. Since he has been running test mules for some time, we really have no reason to doubt that statement. Many enthusiasts are familiar with the performance and capabilities of the PC-Plus line, in both single and dual configurations, so I think we can draw some pretty solid conclusions about how the PB2-Plus will perform.

AFAIK, there are no Tumult-based subs from Kyle in the field at this point, so we can't yet draw on our collective experiences as owners/users of the Tumult-based subs.

None of this is at all intended to detract from the Pinnacle Series, which looks darn impressive and the Tumult driver promises to be a very strong performer.

Regards,

Ed

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Tom V has stated it will perform just shy of dual co-located 25-31PC-Plus cylinders. Since he has been running test mules for some time, we really have no reason to doubt that statement. Many enthusiasts are familiar with the performance and capabilities of the PC-Plus line, in both single and dual configurations, so I think we can draw some pretty solid conclusions about how the PB2-Plus will perform.
Agreed. But Adire has been doing this for awhile too. And I see no reason to doubt the claims they make when you take into account the HUGE success of the Shiva, Tempest and Maelstrom drivers. When Dan Wiggins and company say X sub will give Y results in Z environment I believe them.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
But Adire has been doing this for awhile too. And I see no reason to doubt the claims they make when you take into account the HUGE success of the Shiva, Tempest and Maelstrom drivers. When Dan Wiggins and company say X sub will give Y results in Z environment I believe them.
No doubt - I concur 100%. The terms DIY and Adire are practically synonymous, and with damn good reason. Anytime a fellow enthusiast is getting into a DIY sub, the words Shiva and Tempest are usually the first few out of my mouth. I have no reason to doubt the Tumult will prove to be any different.

In fact, I am currently helping a co-worker with a IB design, and we seriously studied both the Tumult and the Maelstrom at length before ultimately deciding on twin Tempests instead.

Regards,

Ed

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys,

We have one review lined up for the PB-2+ and are working on another. We are also trying to get a review for the PB-1 in the works, but those have been selling so fast they are now on a slight back order basis.In either case, it will be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before the reviews are in print form...as *lead time* factors in of course.

We have the upcoming B4+ review from John Johnson...and we do have reviews from Weatherhead, Ferstler, Johnson, Kotches and Nousaine linked on our website that contain plenty of objective performance verification of our products. Of course it takes a lot of hard work to have a product from a small company like SVS reviewed in the first place. So instead of wasting time trading wisecracks ...I'll spend the time WORKING to arrange as many professional reviews of our products as I can. I would hope other manufacturers would share the same goal.

Tom V.
SVS

A

Anthony_Gomez

So instead of wasting time trading wisecracks ...I'll spend the time WORKING to arrange as many professional reviews of our products as I can. I would hope other manufacturers would share the same goal.
hmmm...does THAT qualify as a wisecrack?

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Dan,
No offense taken. Like Edward said Tom has been running test mules for some time now and after 2 25 minute conversations with Tom the numbers he gave me sold me. I bought one of the first 20-39cs a few years back and was impressed with what it did with only 300 watts in a 7500+ cubic ft. room. As I said I have no doubt that the Tumult will live up to its expectations and it was a damn hard decision to make between the Denali, PB2+, B4+, and the Diy Cables sub. Factoring in price vs. performance I chose the PB2+. Remember, I have a Von Schweikert S/3 sub which is no slouch and is impressing me now that the Servo 15 is gone. With these 2 subs I hope I can get close to reference bass in this room.
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks