What's new

Tumult 15" or 2 Stryke AV 15" ? (response curves) (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
First I was all set on a BP 1503, and then changed my mind to the Tumult, but now that I've modeled what two Stryke AV 15" drivers will do I'm wondering if I should change my mind again.
I'm looking at 200L enclosures with 4 Adire PR15s. Now, my question is which one of these designs is better. They're a bit different from each other. The Stryke setup will clearly play louder at higher frequencies, but rolls off sooner though not as severe. The Tumult holds it's response at a lower volume to very low frequencies, but drops like a rock. I would think that the Stryke setup would do better in most rooms where there is at least some modest gain that low and the Tumult would do better in rooms where there flat out is no room gain. Since most rooms have some gain (at least enough to flatten the Stryke design to 20Hz) I presume I would be better off building it rather than the Tumult.
Here are the two response curves from Unibox 4.02.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Seth

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I think that dual AV15s would outperform a Tumult based on the preliminary information, however that would take up a lot more space and wouldn't go quite as deep. You'll want a lower tuning for the Tumult, in the 14-16Hz range if possible. Either way, it would kick ass.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
however that would take up a lot more space
Actually, they're both 200L enclosures, so they should be the same size (more or less). With PRs I already have I can not add any more mass (for the tumult) than what is shown in the simulation, but I could make the box bigger, but I would prefer not to.

Seth

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
It appears from your graphs that I would raise Fb for the AV15 a bit and drop it a bit for the Tumult. That will put the graphs even closer and confuse you even more :D
The Tumult holds it's response at a lower volume to very low frequencies, but drops like a rock.
Very true, but look where it starts to drop...below 20Hz.
What do you have for power?
Either combo will be quite awesome.
**Edit**You posted just before I did saying you cant lower Fb in the Tumult.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
What do you have for power?
I have a QSC PLX2402 waiting to be tapped for the kW it can put out. It can put out 2400W RMS onto the Tulmult and 700 RMS onto each the AV 15s (if I max the amp out), so I think I have enough power. :)
Seth

Seth_L

Screenwriter
It appears from your graphs that I would raise Fb for the AV15 a bit and drop it a bit for the Tumult. That will put the graphs even closer and confuse you even more :D
I'm not so sure about that. They aren't really any more similar.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Seth

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Isn't that hump at the end of the Tumult graph indicative of an enclosure that is too large for the driver?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Thy, I think you just solidified yourself as a troll here.

Dan has an excellent track record. We will see the driver in the not to distant future. If everything goes well a week or two, if not could be a little while. But barring a catastrophy we will see it sooner rather than later.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Isn't that hump at the end of the Tumult graph indicative of an enclosure that is too large for the driver?
That I don't know.

Back to the issue at hand... For most rooms, which type of curve is more desireable? I presume that the AV 15 would match most rooms better than the Tumults, but I'd like some other people's opinions on it. However, so far I've not seen anyone offer an opinion on my question.

Seth

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Extra output can be EQed away, and it translates into lower distortion and more headroom.

I was thinking you would have one AV15 in each enclosure. 100L per driver seems somewhat small and is the reason for your overdamped response.

Either way the Tumult wins for the real low stuff and the AV15s are better higher up (with your current box plans). They also have higher displacement, so there's ultimately higher output capability above ~20Hz than the Tumult - however, whether you would get to use could be another story. I'm not sure which option I should be recommending to you now.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I seem to be of the Jack Gilvey school of thought that says design for max flat anechoic response and EQ away the peaks. So I'd personally go with the Tumult.

Brian

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
The second graph in the first post will sound best of all that have been posted. It's the only one that works with the room to produce flat response. All the others will produce a large hump below 30Hz.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
By pushing the the tuning on the tumult to the 13-14hz range I think you would push the rise in group delay out of the passband which would also 'clean up' the sound down low. If it were all audible. It also looks(if I read it right) that in the 310l enclosure you are right at excursion at 20hz. Though at near 120db levels not sure if you'll ever get that loud and I'm sure the driver can take it.

Users who are viewing this thread