Tumbleweeds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Using my last of Blockbuster 10 rental card, I rented Tumbleweeds, and enjoy it very much.

I rarely listen to commentaries anymore, but I did wind up listening to this one just because the commentaries done by indy film makers tend to be more interesting (material-wise), even if the director (Gavin O'Connor) isn't a laugh-a-minute kind of guy. He struck me as be a blue-collar film maker, and he and his ex-wife came up with a good film about the relationship of an unconventional mother and daughter duo (basically the story of his ex-wife's travels with her mom in her childhood).

The performances by Janet McTeer and Kimberly J. Brown hold the film together very well. Their performances felt very honest. It's definitely worth a rental.

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Tumbleweeds is definitely better than Anywhere But Here, a similar film that was released around the same time.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In the commentary, Gavin O'Connor talks about how angry he was that as soon as they wrapped up the shooting for "Tumbleweeds", he was flying home and reading a paper which had this big ad for "Anywhere But Here" with a big name cast, respected novelist, and good director. O'Connor was not a happy camper for quite a while after seeing that full page ad.

IMHO, "Tumbleweeds" has a better mother-daughter dynamic than "Anywhere But Here".

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

No doubt as to which was a better film. Now, I love Portman and Sarandon but they simply don't hold a candle to McTeer and Brown. Jay Sanders was also quite good in a thankless role, and I found myself detesting him almost from the start. Great writing and direction. Agreed. Definitely worth a rental, at least.

Bruce