Tubular Bells SACD: problems?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I picked up Mike Oldfield's SACD yesterday. It is advertised as being a hybrid multi-channel disc, but for some reason, when I put it in my player, it is reading it as a regular CD. I know it's not my player because I tried other discs and they are fine.

Anyone else have a similar experience with this disc?

2. JimChan

JimChan Stunt Coordinator

What player do you have?

I've no problem to access both the stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks of this disc in my Pioneer 733A (i.e., DV-47A).

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I have had no problems accessing the SACD tracks on Tubular Bells on any of my Sony SACD players. As I recall, you are using the Pioneer Elite DV-47A, correct? I would try another copy of the SACD. Stupid question, but did you check the disc to make sure the right one was included in the package? It's rare for the wrong disc to be provided, but I thought I would throw it out there. Also, how about taking a trip to Tweeter or wherever and throwing the disc in some demo SACD players (Sony models and the '47A)? Best of luck in rectifying the situation.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Keith, I am using the DV-47A. According to Jim Chan, there should be no problem there.

I checked the disc and it is labeled correctly.

I'll try to get to a Tweet or back to the record store to just exchange it.

Thanks.

5. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

I too am using the DV-47A and I have no problem with the disc at all.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I exchanged it today for Telarc's 1812 DVD-A. What a hassle, too: a clerk and I were running around the whole store looking for other copies. Since a couple of days ago when I bought, they moved the high-res stuff.

Maybe I'll get Tubulur Bells next time I order from elusivedisc or something.