Tubular Bells 2003 on DVD Audio

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jesper, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    is this another proof that universal players are waste of money? I think it is!

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Unless, of course, you want to hear the real version of Tubular Bells.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

4. Richard Fernandez

Richard Fernandez Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Richard, Jason's just pointing out that the original version of "Tubular Bells" is released on SACD, whereas a new recording of this piece will likely be released at some point on DVD-A.

Regarding the new recording, our forum Oldfield expert, Andrew Markworthy, considers it to be essentially identical to the point of superfluity... which may be a good thing if you only have DVD-A capabilities: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=142588

6. Michael St. Clair

If I didn't have a universal player, how would I listen to all of my SACDs?

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=16128347

Here's a link to the entire story. Looks to be coming in late July according to the story (barring any delays of course). Can't wait to hear this re-recording in 5.1 using updated technology.

8. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

I got my import copy of The Complete Tubular Bells last week with the DVD extra. First in the player was the m/c mix and it's absolutely wonderful. At first I thought it was DVD-A encoded, but it turns out WEA opted for DD and DTS 5.1 (PCM stereo also).

Regardless, the entire first eight minutes (approximately) of the m/c version are presented. Great stuff. Very active surrounds, but not at all gimicky. Very smooth transition whenever a sound pans between speakers. Very enjoyable ("very" is the word for today). Really gets me drooling thinking about how the DVD-A version will sound.

BTW: The DVD is in the PAL format, so it's extremely difficult to manipulate the DVD menu on non-PAL players such as mine. Of course, since I was able to listen it, it is possible -- just tricky. That means the video single for the dance remix of "Introduction" isn't viewable on non-PAL players.

The MusicTap website says there's an August U.S. release date for TB2003, but I don't know if that's the regular version or the DVD-A version. It wouldn't surprise me if the company simply opted for the latter and not the former.

9. andrew markworthy

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

11. Alan_Horner

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

13. Alan_Horner

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

15. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

High Fidelity Review has posted an update on Tubular Bells 2003 here. August 25th is the official date. Looks to be another loaded DVD-A from Warner.

Can't wait to hear the new mix in Hi-res.[​IMG]

J

16. Alan_Horner

There's a bit of confusion out there right now (at least from my perspective) regarding the 5.1 release of Tubular Bells 2003.

I've seen a couple different potential release dates for the m/c mix. It strikes me that the August release date would seem appropriate for the European release, with the later October-November release date reserved for a possible U.S. DVD-A release.

Of course, Tubular Bells 2003 has not been released in the U.S. to date in any format, so I'm not getting my hopes up for a domestic DVD-A release. Thanks to the Internet, you can order the stereo version right now from multiple sources (and if you get the CD+DVD video version from Canada, the DVD portion is NTSC and not the PAL version naturally found on the European import). I expect that I'll be having to grab hold of an import version of the m/c mix whenever it's released!

17. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I just sent an inquiery to the HFR staff to calrify any actual US release. The cd was released on 5/27 "worlwide",I guess the US no longer part of that.[​IMG]

18. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    My order for TB2K3 Redbook CD is on hold on amazon.com until mid-August. Where can I order it faster?

Mike

19. Alan_Horner