Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A in '03; Ommadawn DVD-A in '04!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Alan_Horner, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

Whoo-hoo! From the master himself:

"...the DVD audio. This will include the original Tubular Bells demos. I so much enjoyed the 5.1 mix that I am upgrading my studio mixing console and software to make these mixes easier. The first project will be a 5.1 mix of the original Ommadawn for release in the first half of 2004."

Boy Howdy!

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Great news Alan![​IMG]

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Also of note, I have seen many copies of the Tubular Bells 2003 Redbook CD (including Limited Edition) here in the United States. From an earlier thread, there was speculation that the new redbook disc would not be released here in the states.

It is great to see artists actively supporting Hi-res and surround sound for their releases [​IMG]

4. Alan_Horner

5. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Thanks for the info. [​IMG]

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Alan is there any info on the TB '03 on DVD-A?[preferably domestic]

7. Alan_Horner

The still-standing official release date for Tubular Bells 2003 in Europe is October 13. Here's a link to a press release page with details about the upcoming DVD-A: http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Relea...ular_bells.htm

Not surprisingly, there's been no word (that I've been able to uncover) about a U.S. release. Given the track record of past releases, I'd say that no info at this point means that a possible domestic DVD-A of TB2003 wouldn't see the light of day before the end of the year or even early next year.

Oldfield's quote from his site mentions that the DVD-A will contain some original demo recordings from the original Tubular Bells, although there seems to be some dispute about that as it's never been mentioned in the official press releases. Perhaps he means it's being included as an Easter Egg??? And on a separate note: how about including The Orchestral Ommadawn as part of next year's 5.1 DVD-A???

Of course, the British DVD-A audio tracks will play just fine on U.S. machines; the video portions (in the PAL format) will only work for those who have players without region coding restrictions and can convert PAL images.

8. andrew markworthy

9. Justin Lane

10. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    New to Hi-Rez, just got my Pioneer [​IMG]

Is there a recommendation on which format i should get and why?

I just saw the SACD, should i wait?

Thanks!

11. Justin Lane

12. Alan_Horner

13. Justin Lane

Update on Musictap:

14. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Not to mention only a little sleep, since almost all of these are on my "must listen to" disc.

I think the Jackson Browne title will go first [​IMG]

Regards,

15. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The original 1973 Tubular Bells is one of the spookiest pieces of pop/rock music ever.

The 2003 version of Tubular Bells is one of the most boring and unemotional recordings I think I have ever heard. What was Oldfield thinking? [​IMG]

I'll take the '73 original - 'mistakes' and all any day. It has the 'spook'.

Gordy

16. Justin Lane

17. andrew markworthy

Took delivery of TB 2003 DVD-A this morning. There's two pure DVD-A versions (5.1 and stereo) then DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, a stereo version, plus a couple of excerpts from the live TB II and III DVDs, *plus* the 1971 home demos of the original TB.

I've listened to the DTS 5.1, which is excellent - very clear, nice use of surround. I sampled the DD 5.1, which seems okay, but as you'd expect, a little less 'accurate' than the DTS. I don't have a dedicated DVD-A player, so I can't tell you about the pure DVD-A versions (sorry!).

The real bonus for me is the 1971 demo. Basically, you get the prototype of the whole of Side 1, plus some sections of Side 2. Given that these demos were recorded on a very modest 2-track tape player using only guitar, toy bells and an electric organ, the sound picture MO manages to create is little short of astonishing (and even more remarkably, he insists in the sleeve notes that the tape has in no way been tweaked - what we hear is the genuine original). If you have any liking for TB, it's worth getting this disc purely for the demo.

18. Justin Lane

Thanks for the update Andrew. I will keep my eyes peeled for this in stores. Having recently purchased theoriinal Tubular Bells on SACD, I was a bit underwhelmed by the multichannel mix. Hopefully this new mix exploits some of the newer mastering techniques.

J

19. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I would love to get a DVD-A or SACD of "Songs of a Distant Earth"

20. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The SACD is the original quad mix,as it's explained in the booklet.I liked it.I'll look forward to the '03 version on DVD-A as well.Anyone sell it online?