Tubes vs projection...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Whitley, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Don Whitley

Don Whitley Extra

I recently read a post or web article discussing the advantages of projection over tube when considering HDTV sets. I had a friend ask me what he should buy and I suggested projection HDTV over tube however, now I cannot find the thread or the article explaining why. Did I advise my friend correctly and where would I find documentation?

2. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

The shadow masks of direct view sets limit their effective resolution. RPTV's have no shadow mask and thus the best RPTV's have higher effective resolution than the best direct view sets. However, direct views have better contrast, which makes the images appear more three dimensional. And the best direct views definitely have higher effective resolution than the worst RPTV's. And what resolution you have is more crisp on a direct view, due to the shadow mask.
    The best CRT front projectors are said to give you still more resolution, if you can control the room lighting. The resolution of RPTV's is limited by their lenticular/fresnal screens.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group