Tubes Versus Transistors

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chu Gai, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

A brief paper which takes a look at this from the POV of guitar amps can be found here.

2. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

i have a 100watt peavey bandit transtube design. It doesnt sound quite as good as a real tube. however to me it sounds pretty kickass and its a loud piece of crap...well according to my mom.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Interesting. Really what it says to me, is you have to know what to listen for. It is that one "anomaly" who could identify the tube amp 100% of the time that would suggest this. The overall test though, would seem to support that the difference is negligible, yet a preference remains. Most likely, it is not a simple matter of which is more accurate, but rather which produces the sound the player is listening for. To achieve a particular sound with the guitar, the distortion component and/or sideband effect of the tube amp may yeild a desirable effect.

4. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I read up that page and the article seemed somewhat confusing to myself. As a guitar player there is no argument to be made that tubes are FAR superior. However i always used the logic of buying guitars/amps where i would not look at a price just get the guy to plug me in to a bunch of different amps and i'd choose. Some guitars sound better with some amps, some amazing amps can sound garbage with the wrong guitar.
    I liked the sound of my Peavey and it serves me quite well.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I was kinda hoping it would bring Yogi back from wherever he is [​IMG]

6. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Yes where is Yogi? It's always nice to hear from a fellow tube lover among this horde of heathen SS folk![​IMG]

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, I ain't Yogi, but I am a fellow tube enthusiast. I have a 1970's vintage Fender Twin Reverb tube amp through which I play my 1980's vintage custom made Carvin 135 guitar and it is "CRUNCH" heaven.[​IMG]

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Carvin's a nice company.

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I kind of like my Boogie and Fender Blues Jr., even if I am deluded regarding the reasons why[​IMG]

Did anyone see the review of the Tubed integrated in the last Stereophile (can't recall the brand name)? The FR curve was pretty lumpy; not exactly like the Fender that is shown in the link, but far from flat.

Here is a link to site with all kinds of information regarding guitar amp tone. If I recall, they were of the opinion that power amp distortion was the key to getting the tone most rock guitarists crave, although it appears that the CBS owned iteration of Fender disagreed.

http://www.amptone.com/index.html#preampvspowertube

BGL

10. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Very interesting paper, thanks!