TUBES, the Completion Backwords Principle

Discussion in 'Music' started by TonyD, May 20, 2005.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    has there ever been a domestic U.S. release of this album?

all i can find are imports and no indication of anything else.

and if not why not.
    and what about the rest of their records.

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Do an ebay search for "The Tubes CD" and you'll get a pretty good view of everything that has been out on CD from them, domestic and overseas.

Related: The Completion Backwards Principle video has never been released on DVD either by the way. It came out on VHS and on laserdisc. The laserdisc includes Fee Waybil in mirror sunglasses telling people to flip the disc over but is otherwise the same as the VHS. Includes brief nudity (mostly female, some male, in the LETS MAKE SOME NOISE sketch though the male nudity mostly has a black box over it). It's a great video concept album, with the exception of some truly crappy music (some "power ballads" that should be forgotten). Shot on video with big studio tube cameras (appropriately enough!), the video quality probably wouldn't be considered good today, but it still has kitch value. Rhino Records should put it out.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    There's at least one! After 30 years or so, I still get a kick out of "Don't Touch Me There"[​IMG] . Great little song.

4. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I disagree with your assumption about "sounding bad." My copy sounds just fine (to me). However, I do realize some do like today's trend of over-compressed and loud mastering techniques. I simply do not. [​IMG]

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I have the vinyl and the import CD. The CD sounds pretty good to me, for a CD.[​IMG]

6. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Even back then, there was a Tubes CD that was out from both Columbia and from Mobile Fidelity. The latter sounded better. If MoFi felt that the existing CD sounded bad, I am tempted to say my opinion was in good company.

I know that wasn't the same Tubes album he was asking about, but the concept is the same: the early CDs weren't very good, and chances are the more recent import of Completion Backwards sounds better. Chances are. Not certainly is.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    well according to ddcd.com
    07/23/1996

and amazon

Release Date: June 30, 1998

i n any event it seems to be out again from at least both of those places.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Does anyone have the AC3 laserdisc? I think that was the first older music video to be reissued in surround (this was a few months before DVDs started coming out), I found a used copy but it ended up having the older analog-sound disc inside! Seeing how many DVDs have bogus processed-sound 5.1 tracks, I'm wondering if the Tubes Video had a real surround remix or not, and if it's still worth seeking out.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have the Tubes AC-3 LaserDisc, but I didn't think it was "the Completion Backwords Principle", I thought it was like a greatest video hits compilation. I haven't watched it in a long long time. I'll try to give it a spin and see what I can find as far as the AC-3 is concerned. I don't remember being blown away. Some of the first gen 5.1 music discs sounded horrid - U2 "Rattle and Hum" is unlistenable in Dolby Digital. Thankfully the PCM is wonderful.

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Thought this might be worth mentioning here:

http://www.thetubesproject.com/index.html

Apparently the Tubes have been contacting various collectors looking for the best source material for a new video. The trailer (on that site) that they've put together show promise, so far!

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The 5.1 sound on the AC-3 Laserdisc is good. Very front soundfield centric, but crisp and nice.