tube vs. rptv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by alvaro, Nov 1, 2002.

1. alvaro

alvaro Auditioning

hi, i'm in search of a widescreen hdtv and have narrowed to two tv's so far. the mitsubishi 42311 rptv (42") and the panasonic ct-34wx52 (34"). view distance about 6'.
    please let me know what you think and about relaibility goes which will give me the least amounts of headaches.
    i'm incline towards the panasonic which is like 300 to 400 dollars more being a tube of course. is it true that the panasonic if i use 4:3 cable in a 16:9 won't get burn-ins as opposed to the mits?
    thanks a lot for your advices
    aj[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Burn in is "less" likely with a direct view set, that dosent mean it wont happen. as far as which one to go with well only you can decide which you perfer, personally i like the picture on direct views better. I just thought i would also toss this out you might want to consider the Toshiba 34" its 300-400 less than the panasonic, and toshibas have great PQ they are definitely the most bang for your buck. and I have heard that the Toshibas ahve the best stretch modes.... im not sure if they are the same for direct views as RPTV's but i dont see why they wouldn't be.

3. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

In general:

Direct view sets are much easier to maintain. Calibrate them once with AVIA, maybe a few tweaks in the service menu, and most people will be done for good.

RPTVs require more care, including periodic convergence adjustments, in addition to calibration and service menu tweaks.

If you are going to be watching a lot of movies, though, RPTVs are in my opinion much more immersive and produce a much more film-like image. While I have a direct view in the bedroom, I would never consider going back to direct view for my home theater.

4. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    It really depends on the type of picture you are going for. My friend goes for the super sharp look of direct views and thinks RPTV's are blurry. I, OTOH, prefer the projected film like image of RPTV’s. I’m also a sucker for size – you can’t buy a 53” direct view, and there is a marked difference between the sets you are looking at (34” vs 42”).

I’d say if watching broadcast TV is your main use and you’re not big into movie presentation, get the direct view. But if DVD’s and presentation are of primary concern (and you want a bigger screen) go for the RPTV.

Inveterate tweakers have only one choice.

5. Theron Shaffer

I have been on the fence with this as well. I love the movie aspect of the large screen, but I also play alot of Xbox and the rptv always has that stereotype of being a poor choice for games. Anyone compared progressive scan gaming tube vs projection?

6. NickSchmidt

NickSchmidt Agent

For videogames I'd go with a direct view. I played my GameCube in progressive scan on my neighbors 55" Mits and it looks very bad, even on PS. It was a devastating blow to me, because I was considering an RPTV for my next purchase, but am now going to get a direct view solely because of games (and less care, and no burn in).

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I have a 36" tube HDTV and a 65" mitsubishi HDTV.

I don't think I could ever go back to playing games on the 36" tube. all consoles are exclusively on the 65" now.

8. Theron Shaffer

Thats my problem, so many mixed messages. I understand there are burn-in issues to be conscious of....but so many games are starting to come out in widescreen which is great for multiplayer. The problem is, my direct tube 4:3 wont do the squeeze mode in progressive scan games, only auto detects on dvd's, and I cant manually switch it. I want the widescreen, but I still want to be able to have a great game setup. Direct tube widescreens are just too small. What to do, what to do.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have played GT3 on PSII via S-video into my 57" Sony widescreen and the pic quality using the set's doubling was quite good. I've played games on 2 rptvs now with no ill effects. Most sets allow you to store several sets of video adjustments. I store one set just for games with very low contrast settings to avoid burn-in, and play in a very dimly lit room.

I don't play games very often, but when I do it's usually a 4 to 6 hour session.
    I prefer racing games which do have some stationary images for speedo and such during races, but races rarely last more than 15 minutes or so, followed by some menu screens, replays, etc. so I do think I'm varying the image enough to help prevent burn in.

10. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

11. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson

12. Chris Strasz

Chris Strasz Stunt Coordinator

Hanson Yoo, please tell me it's the SD533HD5 [​IMG] I'm picking this set up soon, and am going to be getting a gamecube/xbox in the next few months (definitely going to get Metroid *drool*). I was hoping it would look awfully pretty on the set so it's great to hear you're enjoying it.
    BTW have you tried component wires yet for the gamecube? I *believe* that this is needed for a progressive feed but I could be wrong. Most people don't know that the cube has these wires but they can be ordered off of nintendo's site. Any additional feedback regarding cube on the pioneer is most welcome. I can't wait to get into some Nintendo games again...

13. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I was disappointed by the image my RPTV displayed from my Playstation 2. I found it to be too dark, murky, and just not very good. However the image quality coming out of my XBox is great. Games like NFL2K3 and Tony Hawk 4 look awesome, even games that don't natively support 16:9 displays like Shenmue II and Halo look good.

14. Chris Strasz

Josh I've heard that the ps2 isn't all that great on the rptv's. Then again i'm not surprised as generally I don't find the graphics to be all that impressive anymore. PS2 games always have an aliased look and seem more fuzzy to me, but that's just my opinion [​IMG]

15. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson

16. Chris Strasz

Hanson I noticed you said you'd take 16:9 over progressive any day. Do you mean in terms of features in games you'd rather have them implement 16:9 than progressive?

I'm assuming so since you can use various stretch modes when the TV is being fed a progressive signal (from what I've been told) so you should be able to have 16:9 and progressive (if the game supports it).

17. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I'd rather a game have 16:9 support since I have a wide screen set. Currently, I have to play SMS in full stretch mode because it only supports a 4:3 picture. Since most progressive scan sets are widescreen, I do not understand the value of having progressive and 4:3. I would rather the developers work on implementing an anamorphic mode over a progressive scan mode.

When you factor in that most HDTV sets have line doublers and upconvert to progressive, I'd say having 16:9 support has a much bigger visual impact.

18. alvaro

alvaro Auditioning

i'm really not interested in playing games on the tv, for that i use my pc. once again which one you rather have, the mits 42" or the pana 34wx52? thanks