What's new

Tube TV's 1 year from now? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I know speculation is bad, but what will be happening to tube TV's in a year? Will we continue to see 26, 30, 34" tube TV's, or will we see something else?

I am upgrading my audio gear, and probably my TV in a year to 18 months. I obviously want something HD and wide-screen, and by that time, hopefully HD built-in so I can scrap the $40 rabbit ears that STILL gives a bad image.

Any clue what to expect in a year, say $1000-1400? Quality over quantity to replace a 27" JVC TV.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I can assure you that tube tvs will not be gone within the next 2 years. They're going to be around for about another 5 years but after that I think you'll start to see almost all tvs will be plasmas or LCDs. By that time they'll get the prices down on those flat panels so they will take over the tv market IMO. Of course you'll still have the DLPs and LCD Projection sets as well.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I'd give the venerable CRT far, far longer than a mere five years. Reason being that it's still, after all this time, capable of the best-possible picture quality with high-def and DVD sources.

Brad-blemansk

Auditioning
I don't see the CRT, especially a direct view set, going away anytime soon. I think the first ones that will start disappearing are RPTVs due to sheer size of them. Of course, as nice as the DLPs, LCD-RPs, etc look, a nice Pioneer Elite or Mitsu Diamond Line properly set up will look better.

Until the difference in picture quality is eliminated, and the prices on the new technology go down, there will still be a large market for CRT TVs.

Rich H

Second Unit
I hope CRT tubes stick around for quite a while because they set the standard in certain areas for the other technologies to meet. It would be awful if the standard disappeared too early.

That said, I find some of the best plasmas now offer a more compelling image than just about any tube set these days.
Virtually ever guest to my place agrees ;)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Eventually, all analog TV's will be gone. I think it will take longer than 5 years, maybe 10 more or less. Tube HDTV's are finally becoming affordable. I've seen a 27" HDTV direct view at Best Buy for under $500. That is great because more and more households will have a HDTV later in the years.

We, as members on this great forum are early adopters. Most of us are willing to pay whatever to get the best display that we can afford and most of us are middle to upper class, where we can justify the cost.

On the other side of the coin, there are households that still watches TV on a 15 year old box, which they are happy with. Many households still doesn't have Cable TV either.

Their priority is to get food on the table and pay rent. HDTV's is not a issue for them.

We often times forget that our country (US) still have families that lives day by day for the next meal.

To be honest, it would be great to see all Plasmas, LCD's, etc, in the stores, but I really don't see that happening anytime soon because the demand will never be there.

There are other society issues that needs to be dealt with.

Just my opinion.

M_a_r_k^NE

Agent
Plasma is dead.
Tube tvs will be around. HDTV Tube that is. The drawback is they're heavy. They have a much better picture than CRT RPTV.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
My goal is a good 34" 16:9 HDTV in a year for $1000 - something decent. I even like the Phillips ones for $1500.

I also want a built in HD tuner.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
You can get a 30" tube HDTV for under $800 now. Heck, two years ago, a 34" set was way over $2000.

Prices will always drop. It's just a matter of how long you want to wait.

For me, I couldn't wait, so I bought a 47" about an year and a half ago. I will probably be looking to upgrade to one of those LCD CRT in the next 2 years or so.

I think if you end up waiting too long, you may not get what you really want because some of us are penny pintchers :). If you know what you want and have the cash or credit for it, I say why wait when all of us are already on board.

When the mass start buying their first HD sets, most of us here will be buying our 3rd or even 4th.

Rich H

Second Unit
M_a_r_k^NE wrote:

Remind me not to take stock tips from this fellow :rolleyes:Are you getting hot AV tips like this from "Jimmy" at Best Buy who gets a better mark up on DLPs and tube sets? Perhaps you need some better contacts in the video display industry:

Panasonic To Add Third Plasma Manufacturing Plant - Will Be World's Largest

Samsung Increases Commitment To Plasma

In this single year alone 50" plasma prices have hit record lows, falling 10-20%. 55" models have been released. 60+" plasma have become much more widely available with price drops. Plasma has added HDMI, tuners, CableCard slots, and has seen lower prices across the board, and a doubling of life to 60,000 hours from 30,000. Even Pioneer has dropped CRT production entirely to concentrated on Plasma.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree with some of you.

I actually believe that HD tvs will be mass market in a couple years. You'll see 20" HD tvs within the next couple years. They're just becoming more and more affordable every day and HD programming is becoming more common.

I predict that by 2010 HD will be the norm for a big majority of American households.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I imagine that 20-inch direct-view sets might do 480p at most; at that size, a well-designed set can put out a remarkably good picture even at 480i -- which means, for a 20-incher, 1080i would be overkill.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
RPTV's are boat anchors and I have yet see any of my friend's units come close to my CRT in picture quality.

I have fallen in love with Sharp's AQUOS™ Liquid Crystal displays

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Is there EVER going to be another 38-inch or larger HDTV picture tube? The last ones were the RCA, which I heard was a piece of junk (and only let you display 4x3 with GRAY side borders instead of black, which I refuse to accept), and one from Loewe, which was extremely overpriced. I'm using a 4x3 40-inch Mitsubishi right now and haven't yet found a worthy replacement for it. The best thing I could get right now if it died would be Sony's 40-inch, but it's also a 4x3 set and I don't want to support that company right now given how many backwards steps their home video department has taken recently.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
When did Mitsubishi stop making tube TV's? I remember when my parents bought their 35" Mitsubishi, the sales guy said that they make the best tube TV.

After almost 10 years and hundred of hours of watching the TV, there is no sign of age. Their set is still going strong.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I got mine in 1996, and a few months after that I heard they were getting out of the tube business. Mine still works great but now I want to be able to take advantage of 16x9 DVDs and any HD formats forthcoming (couldn't care less about TV broadcasts with all the onscreen crap)- when I bought the set I was sure that DVD would look like digital crap and laserdisc would still be the best- that's the one time I've been proven wrong :)
So anyone know if a comparable widescreen tube set will ever come out? I want to at least get a bigger 16x9 ratio picture than mine has now, and I can't stand projection sets!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks