What's new

tube tv or not tube tv (1 Viewer)

Patrick R.E.

Agent
im looking to buy a new tv set and i dont knows what to buy???
sony KV34XBR800
sony KP51WS500
panasonic CT-34WX52
panasonic PT-47WX52
im lost Link Removed
i have 4000$can to put on. i want wide screen becose i watch 80% dvd and 18% video game and 2% star choice.

Craig

Second Unit
If DVDs are going to account for 80% of your viewing then a widescreen RPTV would be the best bang for the buck. The bigger the better as far as size. You'll get a great picture with DVDs. I've owned a 56" Toshiba widescreen for almost 3 years and never regretted the purchase for a single second.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Patrick. Here is where you are supposed to post about televisions and monitors.
And a very simplified answer to your query would be as follows—
Direct-View Displays
Advantages: Greater light output and contrast ratio and wider viewing angles. Greater "snap" and an apparently greater sense of sharpness (note the word "apparently"). Ease of setup and maintenance.
Disadvantages: Limited resolution and limited size (Sony makes the largest direct-view monitor at 40 inches diagonal in a 4:3 shape), bulk, and weight.
Rear-Projection TVs
Advantages: Greater resolution, huge size, more immersive cinematic-like experience. With a 9-inch CRT-based design, the full 1080-line interlaced image can be resolved.
Disadvantages: Lower light output, limited viewing angle, maintenance-intensive (convergence, convergence, convergence), bulky, and comparitively fragile.

Patrick R.E.

Agent
thx M.Jack Briggs,
when you say: maintenance-intensive (convergence, convergence, convergence)
do i have to pay for those type of maintenance??
or i can i do it my seft??

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
You'll probably have a simplified procedure for adjusting convergence that you can do yourself. There will probably be a more elaborate procedure that will be more precise but which requires you to enter the "service menu" that is normally the domain of service technicians.

I really enjoy my 42" Toshiba RPTV. The screen is the right size for my room, the set itself is quite shallow (18"), the color is great.

Jan

TimothyM

Auditioning
Great Breakdown Mr Briggs,
can you comment on how front projectors fit into the equation?

Thanks

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
Good HDTV rear projection unit look just as good if not bette r than tubes. Proof positive is that I have a 36 vega xbr (love it) and replaced it in my main home theater with a mit 65" platinum plus (it was better than the diamond lineup for 6 months at time of purchase).

If you have $4000 to spend you can defintely get into a quality HDTV RPTV.

Have to wholeheartedly reccomend mitsubishi instead of all other HDTV RPTV brands. They're the groundbreakers of RPTV HDTV and everyone else copies them. While they're on their 5th and 6th revision of the HDTV RPTV model linup other brands oare on their 3rd or 4th.

Go with the source of ht etechnology and reliability and go with a mits.

Hope this helps and enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks