tube TV issues

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Archey, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Tom Archey

Tom Archey Auditioning

Nov 19, 2000
    My wife managed to break an old 25 inch home office tv. I had a notion to buy a bigger tv for the basement and bring an existing 27" upstairs to the office but I didn't want to spend the extra cash on a bigger set. Unfortunately, I ended up buying and returning several 27" tubes that had minor but obvious issues (e.g. left edged cut off obscuring football scores of other games on CBS, noticeable bending towards the corners on one side of horizontally displayed graphics, etc.) Given my frustration with 27" tv's, I opted to change plans (basement swap) and go bigger and hopefully better by spending a few more bucks. So, I bought a JVC 32 inch flat screen tube which was delivered on Friday. Much to my chagrin it has a weird effect with scrolling news tickers. The words seem to move in 3D space kinda like an earthworm does. The horizontal lines are perfectly straight, but the movement is really distracting. I went back to the store on Saturday and they agreed to swap it out but I was nervous about getting another. On a whim, I grabbed the remote in the store and checked out their display JVC and the Sony next to it and found CNN which was displaying a scrolling news ticker. A ha, there was my problem for all to see! It was less pronounced on the display model JVC than the one in my home, but the Sony actually had it worse. I decided to cancel my order for a 32 flat screen.

Question 1: Do all flat tubes have issues with horizontally moving images? I happened to notice a grocery store commercial that showed food against a white background and slowly panned to the right and a similar 'warping' effect occurred.

Question 2: Are tube TV's getting worse or is the content available simply exposing flaws that we never noticed in the past? Directv's banner clearly shows if a TV's image gets bent in the corners and many newer channels have scrolling text where none did a few years back. Given the difficult content am I expecting too much?

For what it's worth, the TV I'm purchasing is not my primary. I have a 2.5 year old Sony 53" Hi-scan 4:3 XBR in the family room that has perfect performance in dealing with all of these on-screen graphics and effects. In fact, this experience has me appreciating that set all the more.

2. LeslieY

LeslieY Auditioning

Oct 20, 2002
    I have recently seen the problems you described, and I believe the "warping" effect you see on news tickers etc. is called a horizontal linearity problem; this makes sense since the image becomes non-linear as it scrolls horizontally across your screen. I have also heard of a vertical linearity problem which manifests itself during movie credits and other vertical movements.

Anyway, I recently purchased a 32" flat-screen TV, and when it was delivered I noticed this problem. I was very disappointed that this problem would slip through quality control, and so I returned the TV and got a replacement (same make and model). I turned the replacement TV on, and it had the same problem, along with some geometry issues as well. I returned the TV and got another flat-screen from a different manufacturer, which has since been fine apart from some mild convergence issues that I can live with.

I have heard many others complain about this problem with different manufacturers, and I would guess that flattening the TV tube creates problems unique to the flat-screen TV; these problems are exacerbated by the fact that any flat-screen defects are so easy to see.

But to answer question 2: No, I don't think all flat-screens exhibit the problems that you described. There are good ones out there, but sometimes you just have to keep searching!

Best of luck!
  3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Nov 29, 2001
    Flat Screens are notiorious (sp) for geometry problems, butmost of themcan be fixed using the service menu, if you can get an authorized tech to look at it, and one who preferable has patience and experience you can fix most of these problems. if you are adventerous you can try it yourself.