Tube, Solid State and soon some Digital?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AVspec, Mar 2, 2006.

1. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    [​IMG]

Well I stumbled across this very old McIntosh MC225 and thought I would give it a spin in my theater.

[​IMG]

I am using a Niles HDL-6 High Definition speaker selector hooked up in reverse to easily (but very carefully) switch back and forth between the MC225 and my current QSC EX1250 THX main front speaker amp.

After careful listening of 2-channel source material and some readings using the IVIE IE-30A Audio Analyzer (pictured on-top of the selector switch), I must say I am quite impressed with how well this very old tube amp sounds matched up to my Totem Model-1 Signature speakers.

Next I am thinking about picking up a Rotel RBM 1077 (sort of digital) amp and see how it compares.

Wonder what this McIntosh amp is worth these days?????

2. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Sweet find!! I am hoping to one day have a couple of tube monoblocks running a two channel system for my turntable and a CD player, in a separate room from my HT.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mark, how much did you fetch that McIntosh for? If it's in good condition, a tube-based McIntosh can command a killer price. It's very sought-after.

4. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    A guy I work with had it sitting around for a few years collecting dust and I was more then happy to take it off his hands for a few dollars (and I do mean just a few ;-) )

I might put it on ebay after I am thru with all the testing and side-by-side listening, but I must say for such and old piece it really sounds fantastic.... I can see why people really like these tube amps.

It is in pretty good shape... the chrome is a bit aged but other then that it works and sounds great.

5. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator