What's new

Tube HDTV for my parents. Other choices besides what I have listed? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Because of the massive amount of FOX News my father views, I have decided he should not get a Rear Projection HDTV, because he'll suffer burn-in within weeks of delivery.
So that leaves the 32" to 36" direct view option, which is kind of crummy, because they don't want to go for less than 36" in size. The 36" Sony XBR is at least $2200 and that is over their price point of 2k with tax.
What do the experts recommend I point my parents to? They love my Panasonic 47" HDTV, but it's too complicated for them, there is the burn-in issue and they watch far too much 4:3 material. So I think 4:3 is best for them at this point.
So far I can only see the following TV's as options...
PANASONIC 36" TAU: $2k at Circuit City.
ZENITH 36" ZEN D36D51: 2k at Circuit City.
Samsung's 32" TSL3294HF is just $1400 at Sears, but I think too small. I know nothing about the quality of the set.
Sony's XBR is too much money.
Note: My parents sure as ship won't buy from an online dealer. They will go to Sears, Bernies, Tweeter and Best Buy, as they are the local places.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

MikeM

Screenwriter
Are you a Costco member?
I recently saw the latest 36" Sony XBR at Costco for $1999. Yes, this was the 36" model, not the 32".
If you're not a Costco member, just shop around and find a good price. I got mine from J&R for $1903 so it proves if you shop around, you can get it for your target price.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Great! They go to Costco all the time! Wow. Thanks for the heads up.
Now let's just hope Costco has it when they are ready to buy (Christmas). Costco tends to get sets, then sell out without restocking.
Do they deliver?
------------------
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on October 08, 2001 at 01:01 PM]

MikeM

Screenwriter
Yeah, there's no telling what Costco will have when your parents are actually ready to buy. Their inventory is usually a "take what's out there" kind with no guarantee that a particular item will be back in stock anytime in the future.
As for delivery, I'm sure they do, but it would be cheapest (I assume) to just rent a u-haul and do it yourself. I can't expect those Costco guys showing much care to get the set into your house when the 36" set weighs over 250lbs!
Good luck!
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Matt,
I had the 32" Tau a little while back. I got a good internet price match from my local Sears. Is there already a big enough stand or will they need one? I was happy with Sears service and delivery. I was really happy that they stood by there satisfaction guarentee through 3 Tau's and my current Toshiba.

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
Sears & Best Buy sells the Sony 36HS20 which is similar to the 36XBR450 but missing a few features. You can get a price match at Sears for around $1,900. I also saw the XBR at a local Atlanta Costco for $1,999. :)

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
But isn't the HS20 model lacking HDTV support?
Nope, it is HDTV ready but does not have 3:2 pulldown. It is also a darker silver color than the XBR. I'm sure there are a couple of more differences. You can check one at at Best Buy. :)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
There are a lot of choices here. If the TAU does 3:2 pulldown, then it will be a better choice than the other Sony, since they are the same price. I'll have to check the specifications.
They will need a stand.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks