1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Tube CDP and SS pre

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nico, May 23, 2002.

1. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,

I am planning to get a tube CDP, and hook it up with an SS pre-amp. My question is would this setup work out well? Would the tube sound coming out be overridden by the pre? Or do I need to get tube pre instead? I would appreciate your help.

All the best.

Nico

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

No reason why it wouldn't work. Don't worry about SS sound overriding tube sound or vice versa.

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Welcome to the forum Nico. I used to run a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 tube preamp with a SS amp and loved it. I thought about using a tube CD player but I decided to go with the tube preamp instead because I wanted everything to come across on the warm side from CD to my Mini-disc player I used to own. If you haven't already, you can go to sites that seem to favor 2-channel or at least the audio aspect of home entertainment for a lot of tube preamp input or do a search for tubes on this site and you may find some input as well. However, I think it would be more information at the two links than on this site.
    Check these sites out:
    Audiogon Discussion board
    or
    Audio Asylum
    Good Luck

4. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking to get a tube pre-amp (Sonic Frontiers is nice [​IMG]) but I am going to be using my system for double duty as far as Music/HT. With a good all-around pre (like maybe Outlaw's new pre), I don't have to switch back and forth between music/HT. My amp will be Odessey Stratos. The CD would likely be Norh CD-1/QDS-15 (risky buy).
    Can you guys recommend some good all-around (HT and music) pre under $2000 (besides outlaw)? What are some great tube CDP?
    Nico

5. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Here are a few tube CDplayers:
    http://www.amchome.com/index.php
    Here is a post from Audiogon with a similar request to yours:
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Any good tube CD player under $1000 ???
    I am using Jolida amp, and Cabasse 4ohm skiff 302 !!
    Thanks
    by Mkchan40 on 04-29-02
    Follow ups
    Good tube CD player beside AH & Heart ??
    Audionote players are superb!
    Meby 04-29-02
    There should be a CJ tube cd player in that price range-my friend used to have one I believe it was a DV-1B or something like that(it was a while ago that he had it), but for the money it was a great player(he recently sold it for around a grand, so it would be worth looking into.
    ~Tim
    Tireguy 04-29-02
    www.audiooutlet.com has a CJ dac on sale for 1200 (under "special promotions"). But you would need a transport. A nice unit.
    Tom
    no connection to the shop, just an occasional visitor
    Tacs 04-29-02
    Take a look at the Anthem CD-1
    S7horton 04-29-02
    The new Jolida tube upsampling cd player will soon be tested at the TNT website....they have it in house now so a review is to follow. I think it is selling around 900US...This may be interesting for you as you already have that brand in your system....
    Bluenose 04-30-02
    I have been reading about players from Cayin and QDS(Norh OEM) for around $500 that are suppose to be wonderful. But I personally have never heard either one.
    Meby 05-12-02
    I have the Cayin CDT-15A and I love it. [​IMG] $510 USD plus freight from China. The chinese factory also makes Audio Electronic Supply (AES) amps.
    Jayel
    Jarthel 05-13-02
    Jarthel....have you had a chance to compare the Cayin CDT-15A to any other players yet? Just wondering what level it compares to or with? AES is "good stuff"...good listening
    Bluenose 05-14-02
    __________________________________________________ __________
    I hope this has helped.