1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tube Amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Samuel Des, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I've been considering purchasing the Antique Sound Lab Wave AV-8 tube amp to power my NHT SuperCenter. I am hoping that the tube amp's reputed warmth will help remove my occasional sibilance problems. But I wonder whether mixing solid state (HK AVR 7000) with a tube amp will produce "awkward" results. The AV-8 seems inexpensive enough for me to experiment, so I may simply purchase it. Anyone try a similar experiment?
    ------------------
    Best, Sam

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I seriously doubt the AV-8 will be adequate to the task of powering an NHT speaker in a Home Theater environment.
    With 8-10 watts of output power, you wouldn't be able to drive the speaker very loudly at all.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Go to www.audioasylum.com and search through the Tube Asylum archives. There have been several discussions on SS pre/tube amp combinations, as well as the other way around, and the pros and cons of each. If I remember correctly, I believe the issue is primarily impedance matching - check the input impedance of the AV-8 and out output impedance (on the preouts) of your receiver, and makre sure they differ at least by a factor of 10. The more the better.

4. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

You can always search on ebay, and buy a mono-block Dynaco Mark IV for about $100.00, and I think it will be more than enough for your center channel.

5. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Great resource, Saurav! Thanks for the info, guys. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Best, Sam