Tube amp and tube cd player together, Causing problems.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Chang, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Would a tube amp and tube cd player cancel each other out? When I have the tube amp and cd player hooked up the bass sounds muddier then a Sony 20es cd player my friend had, but the highs on the tube cd player where much better. How would I make the bass a little tighter? I changed the output tubes and input tubes and it still sounds muddy. Sould I sell the cd player? What are some good non tube cd players that have the highs like a tube and bass that is tight

2. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I am by no means an expert on this subject because I only have tube amps at this time, but I do know from experience that when you have multiple tube sources in your system you need to invert the polarity to the speakers (sometimes). I recently auditioned a pre-amp that had tubes and the dealer was very explicit that I should reverse the speaker wires at the speaker (i.e. move the + to the ground and the ground to the +). Please research this further before doing it because I wouldn't want you to damage any of your equipment but it could be the answer you are looking for.

Lin

3. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Hmm, the wierd thing is that the PSBs are already out of phase meaning that they're reversed polarity. If I reverse the phase I don't think I will hurt the speakers. If anyone wants to disagree with me, by all means chime in. I know that in car audio, people reverse the phasing all the time.

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Do you have your CD player going directly into the amp? You might be running into an impedance mismatch issue - do you know the output impedance of your CD player and the input impedance of your amp?

There's no reason why a tube CD player can't work with a tube amp.

5. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

The tube amp is a integrated tube amp made by jolida model 302a. I have the ah hooked up to the jolida. The Sony sounded better in the bass region and the ah! sounded better in the highs region. The ah! sounds fine, but the bass could be a little tighter.

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Well, it is certainly possible that your Ah! CD player has looser sounding bass than the Sony. Until you try it on a different amp, it's hard to conclude that it's the combination of the Ah! and the Jolida that's causing this, and not the Ah! by itself. In other words, maybe the Ah! will sound the same way even with an SS integrated amp.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bruce,

I agree with Saurav in that there is no reason to say that a tube player cannot work with a tube amp. However, whether we are talking about solid-state or tube components, system synergy needs to be considered. It could be that the Ah! is not the best match for your Jolida amp or vice versa.

As you may know, I have an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 (Siemens 7308 tubes) and find the bass to be warm (smoothed out) relative to my Sony SCD-C555ES and '777ES. Now, I have never compared the Ah! to the 'XA20ES, but some people talk about "the Sony sound" in regards to Sony CD players. I feel Sony players tend to be more detailed than a lot of players I have compared them too, so you could be observing this effect in comparing the Ah! to the 'XA20ES.