Tsunami parody - Idiocy knows no bounds

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kenneth, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Radio Station Apologises

Heard this story on CNN this morning. You have to wonder what some people are thinking. I was in Thailand during the disaster and although I wasn't near the Tsunami areas I saw daily heart rending coverage of the disaster. It is scary that some people can be so insensitive. It would be appropriate if these people had to go work in a refugee camp and look the victims they parodied in the eyes [​IMG]

Kenneth

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Just as offensive as this is the story on DVDAnswers.com about a National Geographic DVD with the title "Tsunami: Killer Wave."

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

The fact that all during the process of making this song... no one stopped to think it was a bad idea; that's the most shocking part.

I could maybe understand someone saying something in bad taste on-air without thinking first... but to put together a whole "bit".

That's sad.

4. James T

James T Screenwriter

Didn't a govenor or senator refer to his opponents decisions while in office as a tsunami?

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

What's the problem?

--
    H

6. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

The issue with the radio station isn't that they used the word Tsunami (which is a valid term) and can be used in many contexts. They mention one lyric from the song in the article (they played one more on CNN this morning). It was the content of the song which seemed to be happy that people were dying. The fact they did this at all and that it played for three days before they took it off was the disturbing part. Those people at the radio station just didn't seem to think or were very insensitive.

Kenneth

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

"Killer wave" is a term used by surfers to express appreciation for a very exciting, large wave to ride. The pun, when referencing a natural disaster of this scope, is juvenile at best.

8. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

I would say that "killer Wave" is an accurate description of a tsunami, Regardless of the meanings used by a nich subculture.

Now if the cover had a bunch of surfers on it then yea offensive but to get offended over the title "Killer Wave" seems a bit over the line.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Hasn't anyone heard of the "Great Depression"? What was so great about it?

10. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Hasn't the National Geographic special been out for years?

This trend of wanting to sanitize the world after a disaster is getting way out of hand. Should they go back and digitally remove every large wave ever shown in movies and TV?

An episode of CSI:Miami will never be seen again because it features a giant wave, even though it was made and shown well before the disaster.

A cartoon planned and made will not be shown since the title was "Johnny Tsunami"

To exploit, make fun of, or otherwise demean the particular tsunami that hit on Dec. 26 is wrong.

To sanitize the world of all tsunami and giant wave references (as they also did with the WTC) is stupid.

Chris

11. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Radio Station Group Suspended

Looks like the morning show in question is now off the air (temporarily at least).

I agree with others that Tsunami is a valid term. I actually saw a broadcast of the "Tsunami: Killer Wave" on the Discovery channel when I was in Thailand (after the Tsunami had hit). The one I saw was on the Mega Tsunami phenomenon (thank goodness one of those hasn't hit a populated area). Nobody seemed offended by the show since it was a science program.

The radio was ridiculing victims (and when someone complained they responded callously suggesting maybe they should kill some Asians). Not surprisingly people were offended and they are now being disciplined for their stupidity. One would hope they learn to exercise better judgement on their choice of skits in future.

Kenneth

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I don't have a problem with the National Geographic video... or its title. Are they timing their release to capitalize on sales... perhaps. But, at least their video is an educational one... It's not like its "Most Horriffic Tsunamic Videos".

Pointing out a deadly, natural phenomenon to educate isn't insensitive IMO. Making light of the loss of life (as in the original post), is.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

tsunami's have been referred to as killer waves as long as i can remember watching the discovery channel. having people backtrack on this phrase is another example of silly knee-jerk reactions.

14. MarkHastings

Hey! I'm offended! I just jerked my knee shoveling snow and you just made light of it. [​IMG]

15. Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane Second Unit

I don't see a problem with that title at all. Especially because it's from Nat'l Geographic. That's what a tsunami has the potential to do: kill. That title is just stating the obvious. They certainly aren't implying that it's a "cool" wave.

PCness running rampant.

16. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I'm not sure how to feel about certain "comical" tsunami references -- I certainly sympathize with everyone affected by the catastrophy, but yet I find something like this mildly amusing:

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/newsstand/61671

I don't necessarily view it as disrespectful but as a way to look for some humor in a tragic situation (and, of course, sell magazines).

17. MarkHastings

Brian, did you see the other story on that cover?LOL

18. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Tabloids will be tabloids. I don't see anything wrong with that type story. The radio show song in question, in addition to using some very un-PC racial descriptions, ended with the line "God is laughing, Swim you B**chs, Swim". That and their response before they apologised was what seemed offensive (to me).

Dark humor when it is in good taste can be very relieving. You need the laughter to offset the other emotions you are having sometimes. You saw lots of that type humor successfully executed when Johnny Carson died. The radio approach didn't seem like dark humor to me, just offensive insensitivity.

Kenneth

19. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    A football (soccer to you lot) presenter in England was fired for an "inappropriate" joke playing on the word "tsunami". Speculation grows that David Beckham might return to England soon as he's not doing well at Real Madrid, and there was some speculation that he might join Newcastle United, who's fans are known as the "Toon Army", so the presenter joked that Beckham would not want to join Newcastle because he was "appalled at what the Toon Army had done to Thailand".

(BTW, Beckham is universally derided as being, shall we say, not the sharpest tool in the shed.)

20. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

LOL. Becks is nowhere near the talent he used to be. Yet he is still going to be on the England national team :sigh:

Chris