What's new

Tshiba 50h81 comes fri! any tips? (1 Viewer)

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Well I finally did it after lurking for 5 months. Great deal too!( $1841 after everything taxes,shipping etc. it's good to know someone at sears.)

I just wanted to know if anyone has any other tips or advice on setting it up.

this is what I know to do so far:

1. Get Avia set up disc.= Got it.

2. turn contrast to around 30.

anything else? thanks for any help. Cmon fri get here already!

Bob Sison

Grip
Hi. I am a newbie. I just got a Toshiba recently. 50HX81. I have not read your previous posts related to this topic and am wondering why contrast should be at 30%. A setting of 50% is wonderful.I use my Toshiba mostly for DVD's using a Pioneer DV737.
;)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Bob, Larry,
yes 50% is fine. After tuning with AVIA or Video Essentials you may find that most x81 owners are in the neighborhood of 45 for their contrast setting.
You should place the TV in "Movie" mode when you turn it on and then make your settings from that mode.
This method will keep SVM (Scan Velocity Modulation) turned off.
You can calibrate the TV within the first week you get it, but it is also recommended that you do this a couple times in the ensuing months as it is still breaking in.
After a few months, you may want to consider getting the TV ISF Calibrated for the best possible picture.
Remember, it is best to calibrate your TV at the light level you usually watch your movies in.
For most people, including myself, this means total darkness. But just make sure you save the settings as you may have to increase brightness/contrast during the day.
If you do not have any kids you may want to consider removing the highly reflective, protective screen.
Have fun and enjoy your TV :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks