What's new

Trying to talk wife into a SV Sub (1 Viewer)

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to talk my wife into letting me get the 20-39PCi SV Sub...

Do any of you know of any sub that would somewhat compare to the 20-39PCi SV Sub at any store like Audio King or Stereo Land.

The reason I want to know this is so that I could bring her along to listen and feel what the sub would be like?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you could give me.

Mike

Salvador

Second Unit
why don't you find someone in your area who has an svs sub so that both of you could experience it yourselves? I know its not that easy to find someone who is willing to demo an SVS sub but if you search hard enough i'm sure you'll find someone.

Rob Higgins

Agent
Mike-

Try audioenvy.com...should be able to find some SVS owners in your area that will let you audition before you buy.

Good Luck,

Rob

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
It´s unlikelly that you'd find anything even close to the svs. I just received a 20-39+, and it just destroy all the subs I had listen in my lifetime.
It hit 116db on the thx demo from episode 1.:D
Anyway, I belive you can go to a paradigm dealer and show her the servo 15 ou pw2200, ou a velo hgs. Those are the ones that might have a similar performance.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Where do you live Mike? I'm in downtown Mpls and just got the 16-46 PCi the other day.

I'm actually worried about keeping it because 70 db at 20 hz is extremely loud for an apartment. I have to listen at very low volume for fear of a police visit.

I'd recommend going to Audio King. Most of their stores have one or two home theaters that are quite a remarkable demonstration. The one in Brooklyn Center has a complete Martin Login setup that is stunning.

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael,

I live near Eden Prairie, have you been to any other Audio King Stores? If so, which stores do you recommend?

Mike

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
I've done a fair bit of business at the Edina and Golden Valley locations but I don't recall how good their demo rooms are. They sell some quality brands...Sunfire and Martin Logan come to mind.

If you are every looking for high-end audio then I can wholeheartedly recommend Hi-Fi Sound Electronics in downtown Minneapolis. They have wonderful staff but their pricing is commensurate with that kind of service! =)
Their demo room is quite large, though...the subs weren't very impressive compared to my small living room.

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, thank you very much for your help and the information...

Someday I hope I can feel and hear what the SV Subs are like, being how the friendly people here on this forum talk about them...

Thanks again,

Mike

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Mike;
I live in Chaska. I have an SVS 16-46PC (with the improved standard driver upgrade).
If you and your wife would like an audition, send me an e-mail. I've already had a few people over for the purposes of demoing my gear (both the Diva speakers and the SVS) and I would be more than happy to help you with this decision.
However, I cannot promise you that your wife will not flip out when she see how big the SV's really are. :D

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
Just put in an action movie and every time there is a boom, throw your elbow into her chest. Then ask, "Isn't that cool?".

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
True, the acceptance factor isn't so good. I just had that conversation with my S.O. last night: "Are you planning to keep that thing?"

My main speakers are the PSB Stratus series. I don't think I could provide a very good demo for you due to the "apartment factor." You're welcome to take a listen but I couldn't turn it up for more than a few minutes.

mlomker @scc.net

Tom Beski

Agent
I know how you feel....I have a similar problem - only different....

I got a new SVS 25-31PCi about 6 weeks ago and it continues to amaze me for both Music and HT.....BUT now I am trying to talk the SVS Sub into letting me go out to get a Wife...But it continues to produce loud, clean, thumping bass and ignores me!!!

I guess we both need a new spine to stand up for ourselves!!!

Tom

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to talk the SVS Sub into letting me go out to get a Wife
That's some funny shtuff.

I refer to our SVS as "the boy" and "little Mike" since it's about the size of your average 4 year old and like Mike Tyson, it's relatively polite until you provoke it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Trying to talk wife into a SV Sub
Be very careful squeezing her in there. No matter how small or petite your wife is, you could strain something squishing a person into a subwoofer enclosure. I recommend not operating the subwoofer while your wife is "in" the SVS subwoofer.

Why do you want to talk her "into" an SV sub anyways? Are you planning to smuggle her into another country?

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
No I don't need to smuggle her up to Canada there, I can just drive a few hours :)
Funny Funny Stuff there aint it up nort there don't cha know... ahe! :D
L :) L
:D

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Stereoland in EP has the servo-15 in the back room, it doesn't sound quite as powerful as my 20-39+ but I think that is mostly due to the size of the room otherwise it sounds real good with the studio 100 or the new McIntosh speakers. I have been pleased with the service from Stereoland, I picked up my studio series set there and also had my NAD amp repaired there. If you need another place to demo let me know I'm in Chan. It sounds like we could have a South west metro HT club going here.:)
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks