Trying to Save Dad From Bose

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Doug Darrell, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Doug Darrell

Doug Darrell Auditioning

I figured that with my wife and I living with my folks while our house is being built, I could help influence his HT decisions, as he's been developing a bug for a system of some sort. I was trying to steer him more toward one of the better HTIB systems, assuming he had a tight budget and needed something simple to operate.

So he comes home with a Bose Lifestyle 35 HT system. A little smoke and mirrors at the mall, and bye-bye $3000 for a system I wouldn't have paid 1/10 of that for.

So, he just screwed up a patch of carpet to make a hole big enough to pass the plug-terminated end of one of the surround cables, and I'm thinking he might be susceptible to considering alternatives.

Now I know about a dozen of this type of appeal probably appear here daily, but I'm a little desperate. I thought that perhaps someone here could rattle off of the top of their head some suggestions for:
    -Receiver
    -In-wall surrounds
    -Main/Center speakers (placed about a 51" RP TV)
    -Sub

...for a 17.5 x 19.5 space, on a $3000 budget. My main concern for the receiver, aside from overall quality, is something that I could set up to be relatively simple for a 73-year old non-technophile to use.

My thinking is that for this budget I could get much better components with a much neater installation.

Any thoughts?

Doug

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Maybe a bit over your $3,000 level, but why quibble on only a few hundred dollars more for pure performance??

Denon AVR-1804 receiver

Seven B&W DM602 Series 3 bookshelf speakers

Speaker stands for at least the front two, with ball socket wall mounting brackets for the rest.

SVS Subwoofer

I do not, and will not recommend in-wall speakers for home theater applications. They're fine for "ambient" music in a kitchen, bathroom, rec room, etc. but not for fine home theater-ing.

Dan

3. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    With $3000, you have many many choices. Does your dad really want the small footprint of a satellite+sub ? Or does he mind large floorstanding speakers in front?

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

For a reciever I would recommend the Harman/Kardon AVR-230. It is a 6.1 reciever and is very easy to use. Setup is simple and it includes an SPL to automatically set up the correct levels that each speaker should be at!

For speakers, I assume he is looking for something small, and if he is my recommendation would be satellites that won't be much bigger than the Bose but still provide better performance and a cheaper price. My recommendation for satellites would be:

Klipsch Quintets
    Athena Micros
    JBL NSP1 (Small bookshelves)

If he is looking for something towards bookshelves I might just go to a place like BestBuy and demo them. JBL, Athena, and Klipsch all make excellent bookshelf speakers and they all sound great and alot better than the bose.

As for a subwoofer, this is where it becomes tricky. Seeing that you have up to a $3000 budget you can buy a pretty damn good subwoofer.

The SVS 20-39PCi is a good choiuce and is about $600. I have only heard the 20-31 but i'm sure this one will definantly have a better improvement.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please, let's use the Basics area for its intended purpose. If you want specific advice about specific equipment, post in the appropriate area. Thanks.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

also, just take your dad to listen to some quality speakers. let him hear the diff for himself.

i'm working part-time in the bb audio dept right now. i get many people who ask about bose. here's what i usually do:
    1. show them the bose speakers. i point out what they should listen for. do they hear nice clear highs, deep solid lows, etc?
    2. then i show them a performance speaker (usually the klipsch). i ask them, do they hear anything different?[/list=1]
      so far, i'm batting a thousand. every one of them that i've done this with go, "oh...you're right. the bose do not sound as good as these.". then i point out the price-to-performance ratio, and that usually seals the deal.

the point i'm making (and that i make with my customers) is that they only know the bose name, but not what else is out there. i always feel that once they realize what other speakers are capable of doing, then at least they can now make an informed judgement.

if, after all that, they still like the bose, then i'm happy for them.

7. Doug Darrell

Doug Darrell Auditioning

Thanks for all of your input, folks.

Jack, sorry if I'm misusing the basics area. I wasn't sure what other area was a better fit for such a 'shotgun' type question.

8. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Take HIM shopping!
    3g's is no small bones and let him play and listen to the equipment. Let him see/hear the differences.

9. Doug Darrell

Doug Darrell Auditioning

Alas, I think I've lost the window. He found some workable wall plates, and as his son I'm duty bound to help him end up with a tidy installation. It's way overpriced, but as long as he's happy with it. Pity, Mom had a pretty good guilt trip working for a while [​IMG]

But I'm still going to enjoy deliberating over the HT setup in my new place. The thoughts expressed in this thread and other areas of this information-rich forum will keep me on the right track, I'm sure.