Trying to play a Dolby Digital track, what do I need to do?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Aaron Cohen, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I am having difficulty playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. What do I need to do? I have the STRDA4ES Sony Reciever and just got it hooked up with my speakers and subwoofer tonight. The first thing I checked out was the Saving Private Ryan DTS dvd which sounded AMAZING. I also checked out Moulin Rouge DTS and Pearl Harbor DTS which both also sounded wonderful.

I have the original Dolby Digital 5.1 version of Jurassic Park and I put that in next. I tried to find an audio selection menu but was unable to. Upon starting the film, I only heard sound from the left and right speakers and subwoofer. I hit the audio button on my dvd remote but it would not let me switch tracks.

I then hit the button on my reciever marked Cinema Studio EX and surround sound came on. It sounded sort of strange though, almost like a fake surround.... Shouldn't the auto decoding function of my reciever be able to automatically tell that a Dolby Digital 5.1 track is being input? Did I completely miss the menu option on this particular dvd to have the disc in 5.1? Any help would be great!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

When I select the Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks on Moulin Rouge and Pearl Harbor it outputs it using just the left and right speakers and the sub. Does anyone else have one of the ES line recievers and knows how to output Dolby Digital 5.1? I am I just incredibly stupid or what? I would have thought this would be very easy to do! I misplaced the manual for the reciever some time ago...

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

You might see if it's set to convert dd to pcm in your dvd player menu.

5. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Thank you very much for the responses! James, my dvd player was in fact set to convert Dolby Digital to PCM. I turned that off. I will try it again now to see if it works. Thanks!