What's new

Trying to play a Dolby Digital track, what do I need to do? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I am having difficulty playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. What do I need to do? I have the STRDA4ES Sony Reciever and just got it hooked up with my speakers and subwoofer tonight. The first thing I checked out was the Saving Private Ryan DTS dvd which sounded AMAZING. I also checked out Moulin Rouge DTS and Pearl Harbor DTS which both also sounded wonderful.

I have the original Dolby Digital 5.1 version of Jurassic Park and I put that in next. I tried to find an audio selection menu but was unable to. Upon starting the film, I only heard sound from the left and right speakers and subwoofer. I hit the audio button on my dvd remote but it would not let me switch tracks.

I then hit the button on my reciever marked Cinema Studio EX and surround sound came on. It sounded sort of strange though, almost like a fake surround.... Shouldn't the auto decoding function of my reciever be able to automatically tell that a Dolby Digital 5.1 track is being input? Did I completely miss the menu option on this particular dvd to have the disc in 5.1? Any help would be great!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Did I completely miss the menu option on this particular dvd to have the disc in 5.1?
As I recall, the only English track is 5.1.

What happens with Moulin Rouge or Pearl Harbor when you select the DD 5.1 tracks?

Also, is there a switch on your receiver to specify DD 5.1 manually? Auto-detect functions sometimes get fooled.

M.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
When I select the Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks on Moulin Rouge and Pearl Harbor it outputs it using just the left and right speakers and the sub. Does anyone else have one of the ES line recievers and knows how to output Dolby Digital 5.1? I am I just incredibly stupid or what? I would have thought this would be very easy to do! I misplaced the manual for the reciever some time ago...

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Thank you very much for the responses! James, my dvd player was in fact set to convert Dolby Digital to PCM. I turned that off. I will try it again now to see if it works. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks