trying to pick out a new soundcard

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Su, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

right now it's between this one:
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/cons...tion_page1.php
    and this one:
    http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...y=461&nav=over
    I can get the Audigy 2 for about $120. I have no idea how much the M-Audio one is, but I think I read somewhere that it's $99 (I'm pretty sure it's not for sale yet). Does anyone know if the Audigy 2 has an RCA output for a coax cable? Any advantages one card would would have over the other? I plan on hooking my soundcard up to my receiver via a coaxial cable, primarily for MP3 listening. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Given M-Audio's reputation in the HTPC arena, I would venture to guess that the Revolution's audio quality should exceed that of the Audigy 2. This remains to be seen, of course, since the card was released just this week if I'm not mistaken. You might want to keep checking over at AVS Forum, where there has been a lot of buzz in the last couple of months over the Revolution.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If the Audigy 2 has the same I/O as the first Audigy, then it will have digital coax in/out as well as optical in/out.

4. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up the Audigy 2 Platinum... I love it, can't say enough good things about it.
    Basically if you go for the Non-Platinum Audigy 2, it has the same connections that the SBLive did... so digital out is via a 1/8" jack that you'll need an adapter for.
    If you spring for the Platinum you'll have more inputs/outputs than you can shake a stick at... and they're in the front... and get remote control for it to boot!
    It was about a $60 difference to step up to the Platinum, and in my opinion you get alot for that 60 bucks. Depending on where you live, look for some computer shows... I picked up the platinum for $159 at a show, my buddy got the stock Audigy2 for $108... ok, more like a $50 dif.
    Don't know about the other, that's just my 2cents on the A2.

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I highly reccomend the m-audio revolution 7.1, it's signal to noise ratio is superb and the bitrates are unreal. aside from that it won't make your computer the last component to upgrade to 7.1 when it starts becoming popular.

6. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

If your looking for the highest audio quality, go with the Revo.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yeah, the AVS forum has a lot of really good info on the revolution. They are pretty hostile towards creative, which I really don't know is a bias, or true performance experience. Though, looking at it, the m-audio looks mighty nice.

8. Bob_C

Bob_C Agent

Does anybody know a good place online or a national chain B&M that sells the Revolution? My search at my usual list of friendly retailers didn't turn up much.:b