What's new

trying to pick out a good one (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I will definitely admit im new to the whole home theatre area, and hell ive probably already made mistakes in what kind of equipment to buy, but my next purchase is going to be a new tv, and I have been seriously looking at the sony 32" XBR Wega, it retails here in canada for 3000$ which is the upper limit of what i can spend (im already inviting people over just to chek the couch after they leave.... just kidding.. but maybe that could work...)

in anycase if anyone wants to throw out their opinion or advice persuade or dissuade me from this choice or another it would eb greatly appericiated.

cheers

John

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Even though the Wega is very nice, I would spend an extra $200(much less on-line probably, I just happen to see that price at A&B Sound the other day.)and get the Toshiba 42H81 RPTV. Mainly because it is a widescreen set and much larger than the Wega.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
ok one i just wanted to make sure you know im talking canadian dollars.
and two to be honest I dont liek widescreen tv's.
I much perfer to have the bars at the top and bottom when im watching widescreen movies than to have those bars on the sides when i watch tv or play video games, which is far more often.
but I will go take a look at that tv you suggested, hehehe maybe i will change my mind :)
thanks
well i just looked at the tv..... I must say in my humble opinion I have never seen a projection tv that can compare in quality to a tube of similar cost. sure it is 10" bigger, but personally id rather ahve the quality of a tube than the size of a projection.
thanks again for the input, if anyone else has anyhting to say please do :)

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how much less they would be in Canada, but both Link Removed and Toshiba make sets that are very similar to the Wega that sell for $400 less or so in US dollars. I have the 36" version of the Panasonic and am very happy with it.

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
The toshaiba xxHX81 or H81 have stretch modes which get rid of the bars on the side of the screen while watching TV or playing games. I own the 50H81 and love it. A very good site to learn about HDTV's is www.hometheaterspot.com
Good luck, and don't count out the toshiba.
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks