Trying to improve sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blake N, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Blake N

Blake N Auditioning

Unfortunatley I live on the second floor of an old apartment. I believe that my floor is realy messing up my subwoofer. Its a front fireing ported sub but the port fires down. It seems like the floor is inducing a bit of mudyness. I was wondering if there was anything I could put my sub ontop of to make it sound better. I was thinking of building a box out of mdf and filling it with sand. Any idea would be of great help.
    ------------------

2. Mitchel Kagawa

Mitchel Kagawa Auditioning

How about putting it on top a slab of granite and pulling it away from the wall or corner.
    ~Mitchel
    ------------------
    Sometines I sit and think... and sometimes I just sit...
    My DVD's

3. Blake N

Blake N Auditioning

Its not in a corner but how far away from the wall should it be?
    ------------------

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Blake,
    Sub placement knows no bounds. You will have to experiment with its location, moving it here or there until you reach a desired location.
    My Velodyne sits in a corner about 8" away from the walls, but I have it sitting atop a 3" slab of slate rock. The slate really helped tighten things up and kill the boomy muddy type bass. My room is small, so placement was very limited, I do not prefer corner placement, but really had no alternatives. Try the slate, it is very inexpensive and works great.
    I have some pics up on my website of how I placed my sub with the slate.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] The Green Room

5. Blake N

Blake N Auditioning

I actualy saw that a few days ago and was going to message you but never got to it. Where did you get the slate from, a lawn and garden store ? BTW the "Green Room" looks pretty sweet. Also what type of beer is that, looks like a brown ale in that lighting "New Castle" maybee ? [​IMG]
    Thanks alot.
    ------------------