What's new

trying to hook up new speakers, subwoofer not working (1 Viewer)

kamcknig

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Hey everyone, I just bought a 5.1 surround sound speaker set and I'm trying to get it set up but can't get the subwoofer working. The speakers are Insignia NS-HT51. Here is a link to the product page on insignia so that you can see the manual: http://insigniaproducts.com/products/home-audio/NS-HT51.html?supportTab=open I am using an old Samsung DVD Player/receiver, model HT-X50. I have all of the regular speakers working, but not the sub, no sound comes from it. I don't know a whole lot about speakers and hooking them up unfortunately. The dvd player/receiver has the black and red connector outputs for all of the speakers, front L/R, rear L/R, center, and subwoofer. The insignia manual shows two ways of hooking up the subwoofer, one of which uses a sub-out or pre-amp outs to rca inputs on the subwoofer. The receiver does not have either of thos connections, so I tried doing it the other way, which was to take the Front L/R outs on the receiver to the high-level inputs on the subwoofer, and then take those out to the front L/R speakers themselves. But when I do that, as I said, no sound from the subwoofer. Am I reading their instructions right? Can this actually be done? Is this a problem with thre receiver? Or how I have it connected? Thanks for any help! Kyle

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
More than likely you can't use a different sub with that Samsung unit. It probably has an internal cross-over set at 150 or higher to protect the front speakers that came with the X50. This means the signal comimg thru the front speaker wires isn't full range which is what your new sub needs. This is the main reason these types of all-in-one htib's aren't real popular around here. You usually can't replace just one part of it, even the speakers or sub.

As for why there isn't any sound at all coming from the new sub, try setting the top switch marked "Off-Auto-On" to "On" and see if you hear anything at all. But if you do it will probably be a signal higher than the new sub can produce, like 150hz and above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks