What's new

Trying to hook up cable box to HT for Dolby Digital... Need some help! (1 Viewer)

Patrick_Roberts

Auditioning
Hey folks. This is my first post, I am glad I stumbled onto this site! I look forward to hanging out with everyone! On to my question:

I just got digital cable installed on friday. I did get the optional cable box with the s-video and Dolby Digital output (S/PDIF). It is a Motorola DCT 2000 box. I am trying to get the Dolby Digital signal to the rest of my system. My system is comprised of an Onkyo TX-SV919THX receiver running a Denon AVD-2000 Dolby Digital decoder. What I did was use a Monster Cable IDL(?) digital coax wire and ran it from the S/PDIF output on the cable box to the Coax 1 IN on my Denon decoder. I am getting Dolby Pro Logic just fine but when a Dolby Digital program comes up (plays the trailer say on HBO), my decoder doesn't automatically switch to Dolby Digital.

It is like my decoder isn't recognizing the signal. It is getting a DD signal from my DVD player just fine (via optical wire) but the only thing I can get from the cable box is Pro Logic. Any ideas? This is really getting annoying, am I doing something wrong? I am not that familiar with S/PDIF but I think it is hooked up properly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Patrick R.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I think with cable box, you can only get prologic. I think you can get Dobly digital on HDTV's or with a decent satilite system.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Most likely its a issue with the cable box or your cable provider may not be streaming the DD 5.1 signal. I have digital cable from COX and get the DD 5.1 signal when its availble. We are using a different cable box also, The Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000.

Sean

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

I had an alomost identical problem with my Girlfriend's parent's satellite system. Digital audio connection from a digital box which was supposed to pass dolby digital... even when I went to a channel that was supposedly playing dolby digital, I wouldn't get DD.

I played with it for a few days while I was at their house of x-mas- and finally gave up.

I would check all the setup menus for the box and any manuals which might have come with it. If all the menus are right- I'd contact the cable comapny to see if they are actually supplying the DD stream on encoded broadcasts (note that not all are in 5.1). Of course, no customer service person at the cable company will have a clue what you're talking about-- but worth the shot.

Again- I never solved the problem with SAT and was never able to get 5.1 from DSS, even though you're supposed to and the channels claimed to be broadcasting it, and the box menus were setup correctly.

-Vince

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
I would also verify that your input is in 'Auto' mode
I recieve about 10 movies a month in DD through Digital Cable in Canada. I've set the TV input to auto on my Denon 1601, and it picks up the DD without a problem (other than the extremely small amount of movies broadcast in DD)
Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks