Trying to help my dad with HT decisions.. Yamaha vs. Denon/Energy vs. Paradigm

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jared R, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Jared R

Jared R Auditioning

My parents have a large 20' x 20' living room and are looking to upgrade to a 'home theatre' sound setup to complement their big screen tv + dvd player.
    My dad's done some shopping around and asked me to check out various models of receivers and speakers -- here's what he's interested in so far.
    Yamaha RXV800 -- I think I'm gonna suggest he spring a bit more for the 1200. Not sure if this is replacing the 800 in the model line, or if it's a pricey step up, but it has DPL2, and true 6.1 ES. My suggestion is to go with the 1200 on faith cuz I'm a huge Yamaha fan. [​IMG]
    Denon 2802 -- from what I've heard this is a great receiver. Only thing I am hesitant about is the lack of front inputs and it seems to have fewer video and digital audio inputs.
    Energy e:xl26 + e:xlc2 fronts and center -- He didn't really like the looks of them too much, but I gotta say that I think they look super cool. [​IMG]
    Paradigm Phantom fronts + cc270 center -- a little more understated appearance, but I haven't heard them so can offer no real opinion on them to him.
    I'd think that either the Energy or Paradigm setup would be more than adequate, but I wouldn't mind some input from folks who own or have auditioned these speakers.
    Rears -- if he went with either Energy or Paradigm, what set of rears would match properly? I assume the shop he buys them at would steer him in the right direction, but I'd like to see what you guys would suggest.
    So what do you guys say? He's looking at spending ~$2300 CDN and could use some help spending it. [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance!

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I like Yamaha a lot too...speaker choice, however, is even more difficult...try to listen to some different setups. Good luck!

3. JeffreyH

JeffreyH Stunt Coordinator

The Ex:l line-up is being discontinued so he should be able to get a good deal somewhere before they dissapear.

I'd probably go with the Paradigm speakers though. One good plus with those is Paradigm dealers have an awesome upgrade policy. I'm actually looking at those same speakers, CC-270 and Phantoms. As for the rears it's just a matter of price, anything in the Paradigm performance series would work.

I'm not sure the price on Paradigm's ADP series, but I'm sure that's what the dealer would suggest.

Sorry I can't help you on the reciever end, although the Denon looks cooler!

4. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

I think your father would be very pleased with the Yamaha Receiver, but I too am a big Yamaha fan.

5. Jared R

Jared R Auditioning

Jeffrey... have you listened to both the Energys and Paradigms?

I'm curious to know the difference in sound between the two.

His setup will mostly be used for HT, with a bit of music listening thrown in once in a while.

6. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I too am a huge (new) Yamaha fan. And coincidently, I'm running Paradigm monitor series off it. It sounds great. I have an RX-V1200 and it is great. Has all the features, plenty of power, and sounds great.

7. JeffreyH

JeffreyH Stunt Coordinator

Jared, I didn't get to listen to the Energy's because both the dealers that were close to me stopped carrying the line(actually one went out of business).
    I was told the Ex:l line was bright sounding by the salesman. "Good for old guys with hearing loss" was what he said. Maybe your dad fits into that catagory![​IMG]

8. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

i heard both the energy and paradigm before and went with the phantoms, cc170 and atom for surround. the exl's are good but they sounded too bright for me. for the rears, the paradigm have the adp but if direct radiating speaker is okay with you, you can save some cash.

9. Scott Werner

Scott Werner Auditioning

The Paradigms are nice speakers but I finally went with Axioms www.axiomaudio.com . Check out the reviews at the web site.
    This is the third post of mine that has a recomendation for Axioms, I hope people don't think I am working for the company.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if he doesn't care for the energy's appearance, why push them on him? might be fun for the two of you to visit some stores together and see what turns him on. hopefully you'll be able to audition the speakers at home. no offence, but its his ears and desires that need pleasing, no?