Trying to get system up and running, couple problems, need more equipment

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by SalS, Aug 28, 2006.

1. SalS

SalS Auditioning

I just finished the basement and now its time to bring the current equipment downstairs and start hooking it up. Over the weekend I had some problems, but also wanted to add some additional features to the basement so I figured lets kill 2 birds with one stone and ask the experts for some help.

First to what I currently own. I have an Onkyo TX-NR801 for my receiver. I have 2 Sony ss-k70ed speakers for the front. (150 watts per speaker) with the same model center channel that came with the fronts.

My sub was a Sony SA-WX700, 250 watt with powered amp inside. During the move something must of happened and now it doesn't work. It powers on but no bass comes out. So the first question is do I need to buy the same sub woofer (which I liked), or because I don't really use the amp inside of it can I go with some 150 watt sub from another company? If so any suggestions on a good sub for a fair price?

I just bought 6 in-ceiling Bose 191 speakers. I plan to use 2 of the speakers for the surround sound speakers and the other 4 for a zone 2, (2 speakers above my pool table) and (2 by the bar area). I spoke with Crutchfield and they set me up with an MVC Hub and 2 wall controls for the bar and pool table area. I have them run through wall controls but over the weekend I couldn't get much sound. The plan was to use my zone 2/back surround on my onkyo (which I couldn't even get to work, another issue for another day) but I was barely getting any sound out of them so now I think I need an additional amp. I was looking at the Onkyo M-282 but because it is only a 2 channel and I also want to add 2 speakers to the outside on the deck, I don't know if that is enough power.

I haven't found anything else besides a 2 channel or a 12 channel amp online, do they actually make like a 6 channel amp anywhere? I see the NilesSI-1230 is like $1200 online, wouldn't it be cheaper for me to just by another receiver and bridge it with my onkyo? (don't know if I can hear same source though all speakers that way)

Are the Bose 191s going to give me enough power and sound or do I need to look for different speakers?

What I am trying to do is I would like to have it setup so that if we were listening to music or watching a football game, that if someone was in the bar or pool table area they could just hit the wall control and turn up the volume to listen to the sound. Just as if we were outside we could turn the wall control up and listen to whatever the receiver was playing outside as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Week 1 NFL is almost here and I really want to have this system up and running by than.

2. SalS

SalS Auditioning

Anyone suggest any help?

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You don't need the same sub. What's your sub budget? Rotel (rotel.com) and I'm sure various others makes a 6 channel and an 8 channel amp. For outdoor speakers, you'll have some outside noise to overcome (vs. in the house) and it depends on your listening habits and how efficient the outdoor speakers are.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sal,

Is it too late to return the Bose speakers? Typically you can get other brands that are better for a lot less money. That would free up some cash to dial up your subwoofer budget. Which you should seriously consider doing - Sony subs are pretty much bottom-of-the-heap; it’s not hard to do better. You'll be blown away at the improvement a decent sub will make.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. SalS

SalS Auditioning

Sorry for the long wait to reply guys, had some family issues. I do appreciate both replies.

Okay first the answers for Phil. I really don't have a budget in mind, it you said it costs $500 for what I want to do and it would be worth it that is fine. I actually dropped the sony sub at circuit city today and they will fix the thing for free. Even so if you think a new sub is worth it, I would grab a new one. Any suggestions on a couple different models I should be looking at?

I looked at rotel.com and I see some 5 channel amps but some of the outputs say surround and center for the 5 channel, don't I need just a 5 channel with AB for all 5 channels to get the loud sound?

Wayne I can return the Bose speakers, I was thinking of maybe using the Bose for my surround speakers and than grabbing 2 pairs of new speakers to use with my wall controls for the zone 2 speakers. Again since I thought Bose were really good speakers can you give me a couple suggestions on which brand and model to buy? Also if you have a subwoofer suggestion hit me with it.

Thanks a bunch guys!

6. brendy

brendy Agent

Since CC is fixing the Sony sub go ahead and use it.It is true Sony is not known for speakers but the SA-WX 700 (which I own) is not a bad sub.It uses the Push-Pull configuration like M&K subs.Do some research and you will see that.I like mine also.Do not let someones incorrect opinion mis-lead you.The money you would spend on a sub put towards the additional speakers.

7. SalS

SalS Auditioning

Thanks for the opinion Brendy, do you have suggestions on which speakers would be better than the Bose I picked up?

8. SalS

SalS Auditioning

Just picked up the sub from circuit city and looks like everything is in order.

Now I just need some speakers for the zone 2 instead of using the bose was I had bought, since it sounds like I can do better from the posts. Anyone have suggestions for some kick ass ceiling speakers?

9. SalS

SalS Auditioning

Intimus 632-IC In-Ceiling Speaker Any opinions on these speakers or this company?