What's new

Trying to get everything set up properly. (1 Viewer)

Slavetocaffeine

Auditioning
Real Name
Shea
So I'm now the proud owner of a xbox one and a Playstation 4. I own a Sony blue ray home theater in a box bdv-n5200w 1000w, and a lg 50LN5700-UH. My home theater system only has two hdmi in slots and an hdmi out. If I have this wired correctly (in theory only because I havnt unpacked my ps4 yet) I would take hdmi from both consols and route them to my TV and my home theater. My only issue is now my tv/cable box needs to be wired. My home theater, TV and cable box all posses fiber optics so! My question is: will connecting a fiber optics cable from my TV to my home theater and cable box provide surround sound? Or have I just managed to make a massive bundle of wires that is useless. Thanks in advance for your help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HTiB tend to very useless.

Good news. XBox1 can't bitstream. So this HTiB(hopefully) accepts LPCM on HDMI. I would assume the PS4 can be set to decode as well.

If this HTiB can't accept LPCM(what does the manual that came in the box say?) then you are stuck with 2.0 PCM.

It decodes DD(it kinda has to to not be completely useless) on Toslink. Which the STB(cable box) has. The trick there is if your STB is capable of HDMI and Toslink at the same time(what does its owners manual say?).

These issues are why nobody likes throwaway HTiB.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just checked.

Over HDMI it accepts...

2.0 PCM.
5.1 LPCM
DD
DTS

Shockingly it can not add DPL to 2.0 PCM over HDMI.

So...no DTS ES(matrix nor discrete). No DD+. No 7.1. No lossless bitsteaming. No DTS 96/24. None of that over HDMI.

Slavetocaffeine

Auditioning
Real Name
Shea
Yeah funny enough I actually have an hdmi switch coming in the mail tomorrow lol. Glad I'm not totally lost. Yeah I wasn't too happy with this HTiB to be honest. The rear wireless speakers are poor quality and hit or miss at best with sound. The subs great, I'll say that much but the sound bar is miniscule and practically worthless. I only spent like 600 on it so it did the job with one consol. But the next time I get a home theater system it's going to be a nasty little set up. Hey I truly appreciate the feedback, I'm glad there are peeps who are knowledgeable on here.

Slavetocaffeine

Auditioning
Real Name
Shea
But see after running this through my head, how do I get surround sound for every device ran through the hdmi switch if I run my damn htib through the hdmi switch? That's where I think I'm having an issue. Xbox, ps4, cable box (time Warners newest one I don't remember the name it's still packed up). How do I provide surround sound for everything but switch to different platforms when desired.

Slavetocaffeine

Auditioning
Real Name
Shea
Yeah I understand that much but would that provide surround sound for everything if I'm running my htib to the switch wouldn't it only provide sound for the htib when selected and not for the other sources? I've set it all up before I'm just unsure how it works with multiple consoles and switch. Never used an hdmi switch before. Sorry I'm just trying to understand that part.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Again...

All of your sources -> switch(cause your HTiB doesn't have enough) -> HTiB(cause it only has two. So you bought, what? A 3to1 switch? So you now have 4 HDMI) -> TV

P.E.R.I.O.D. S.I.M.P.L.E.

Slavetocaffeine

Auditioning
Real Name
Shea
Odd I misread your last Message, and replied right after saying ah I get it and it didn't post. My bad bud, yeah I totally misunderstood the source to switch to htib. Yeah it makes perfect sense now. Naw I got a decent switch it's a 5 to 1 with a remote. Much appreciate the info

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks