Trying to find the name of an old movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by PhillipScott, Jan 16, 2004.

1. PhillipScott

PhillipScott Auditioning

My wife thinks that I am crazy when I tell her what I remember about this movie, if anyone can tell me the name I would greatly appreciate it. I watched it on tv as a kid and here are the things I remember:
    1. Towards the beginning a boy and girl are playing on the beach and they carve their names on the back of a turtle.
    2. During the movie the boy leaves then comes back trying to find her, his innocence something (very unclear in my memory)
    3. At the end of the movie the turtle is huge, as large as a fishing trawler and is a god of the sea or something and it was the girl's protector?????
    4. Some people try to kill the turtle and the last you see of it it is swimming down in the ocean with the kid's names on it's back only it is huge and draging the corpse of one of the men trying to kill it.
    5. And lastly, the man going back to the mainland on a ferry after being told that the girl's name was the name of someone dead long ago or of someone who only exited in myth???
    I know that this sounds strange and I may not have the movie right. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Somehow this sounds familiar....no, really.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Get to the hospital. I think you're having a stroke!

4. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

You're not crazy, you're describing a late 1970's TV movie called "The Bermuda Depths".

Do a Google search on the title, and you'll find you weren't the only one haunted by it.[​IMG]

There's a website devoted to the movie here: http://bermudadepths.tripod.com

5. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Yeah, that's THE BERMUDA DEPTHS.

Funny, but it seems like THE BERMUDA DEPTHS and DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK (1973, Made-for-TV) are the two most half-remembered movies, ever. Every six months or so, someone here, or at other internet movie/video forums, inquires about a film and it turns out to be one of these two.

The current owners of these films (in DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK's case, it's Warner) could probably make a mint if they released them on R1 DVD with some amount of fanfare.

There's a small chance that THE BERMUDA DEPTHS might be in MGM's current control, as the North American distribution rights belong(ed) to ABC, and Disney currently has that ABC Films DVD licensing deal with MGM going on. That is, unless the rights have reverted to Rankin-Bass, JAD Films International Inc, and/or Tsuburaya Productions.

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Thanks Walt, and Peter, you are right, it's probably right up there as one of the most half remembered movies. As soon as I read the description (just first line), I knew I've seen it but also know that it wasn't any good (IMO) and there's no way I can remember the name or when/where I've seen it.[​IMG]

7. PhillipScott

PhillipScott Auditioning

Thank you to everyone. I'm not crazy. Well i am but tha's beside the point:b

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

OH MY GOD.

Thank you so much for posting this, I also saw this film as a kid, and it have never forgotten it. I remember very specific scenes, and the general impression it left me is extremely haunting. I can still hear the wailing of those turtles (or was it the sea?) in my head.

It also features the single most romantic exchange I have ever heard:

HE: "They say you don't exist"
    SHE: "I only exist for you"

Went straight to my heart :b.

I would kill to get a chance to see it again. Perhaps I shouldn't tho, the imdb rating is abysmal (3.8...)

--
    H

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I just read the comments on IMDB, and they are nearly all identical!. Wow. It feels so good to know that I am not alone in feeling this way.

Something about this movie has deeply touched the soul of 10 years olds everywhere...

--
    H