What's new

Trying to find the best Jackie Chan releases (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I've been trying track down the best versions availible for Jackie Chan's Police Story series, and I think I'm developing a migraine.
Are the Hong Kong Legends and the Deltamac releases considered the best, or are there other releases that I should consider? I've never heard of Deltamac, so any impressions would be helpful.
Also, I found HKL releases for Police Story 1 & 2, but only Deltamac had Police Story 3/Supercop. To complicate it further, I could only find PS3/Supercop on eBay, and it was R0.
So what should I do? Pick up PS1 & 2 on HKL, and PS3 on Deltamac? And is there a better place to get it than eBay?
Also, I was checking out Wing Chun. HKflix has a Guang Dong Tung Ah version, is it worth getting?
Thanks,
Dave

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
Definitely buy the HKL versions of Police Story 1& 2. They are the best versions of each film available. The framing is slightly off in the first Police Story, but the transfer and disc is so good this doesn't matter IMHO.

Considering the fact that Disney own the rights to Police Story 3 you can bet that the only version of that film you'll see on R1 will be dubbed and very possibly re-scored. HKL have mentioned that they wont be issuing it in R2 as some body else owns the rights - probably Disney again. It was OOP in most regions untill last month when Deltamac reissued in asia as a R0 disc. It's OAR, though I cant say if its anamorphic, and has turn-offable English subtitles.

It's the best edition of this film you'll find for some time and its only US$10 including shipping from Hong Kong based DDDHouse.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
hmm, I just found a Megastar version of PS3 as well. Any opinion on Megastar?

Thanks,
-Dave

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've got the Disney versions of Supercop (PS2) & Supercop 2 (PS3?). They are 2.25:1 and 1.85:1 respectively. Both are non-anamorphic and DD 5.1 English. Anyone know if they have been cut?

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Both SUPERCOP (POLICE STORY 3) and SUPERCOP 2 (PROJECT S) are cut. There is a PROJECT S release from the UK that is uncut and in its original language but the DVD quality is horrendous on a large screen TV.

The Deltamac POLICE STORY 3 is supposed to be better than the Megastar release. I don't have the Megastar release but the Deltamac is watchable.

Matt

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I was going to suggest
DDD House , but they only seem to have the VCD version at the moment.
You might want to try
Project J , a web site that, inter alia, lists the various DVDs of each of Jackie's films (incl. aspect ratio, extras, etc).

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Hong Kong Legends also have the absolute best versions of Chan's Project A and City Hunter, the (probable) best version of Armour of God, and they're releasing his Project A Part II and Crime Story shortly. For the most part, you can't really go wrong with any of HKL's recent discs.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Isn't the Deltamac version of Police Story, the only version with the original soundtrack?
I'm still torn on which version to get of this film, as the original pressing of the Hong Kong Legends release had a mastering error which slightly altered the aspect ratio. My JVC doesn't have X/Y scaling, so I can't alter it myself.
I haven't seen the transfer on the Deltamac version and no one seems to have posted a review.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks