Trying to find HDTVs that support 720p input

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Aric Friesen, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Aric Friesen

Aric Friesen Extra

Ok, so I've been shopping around for HDTVs. I'm ready to buy a Mitsubishi Diamond Series WS-65813 when they start shipping as it seems to have everything I want EXCEPT 720p. Grrr [​IMG]

I’d like a TV that has an integrated HDTV tuner, FireWire (for recording to D-VHS), and 480p, 720p, and 1080i input support under $5,000. I'd be willing to go with a TV and a set top box too, if it would do everything else I wanted.

I actually don’t think there is a TV out there that has these three things. (Well except the $21,000 Mitsubishi Alpha, but that’s out of my price range.)

Anyway, what I’m looking for is some comparison chart that might identify which HDTVs will actually support 720p input.

(Oh, 720p is for my XBOX BTW)

I realize there is a good chance no one is tracking which HDTVs support 720p but I’m hoping somewhere there is some good info.

Thanks!

2. TomHansen

TomHansen Agent

Mitsubishi sells displays with Firewire and built-in tuners. Not sure on their specific models, but most TV's that display 1080i natively will upconvert any 720p signal passed to it.

Hope that helps!

3. Aric Friesen

Aric Friesen Extra

I thought most TVs ignored 720p unless they specifically mention they support it.

4. PhilipD

PhilipD Auditioning

The Samsung DLP RPTV's are native 720p, and accept 480i, 480p, and 1080i signals.

No HDTV tuner integrated.

No firewire, but you should be able to buy a STB that has firewire.

Price is within your budget.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Most if not all the LCD and DLP RPTV's are 720p native..atleast the ones I've seen including the Hitachi are 720p.

6. Jon_Miller

Jon_Miller Auditioning

Most if not all HDTVs native resolution is 1080i. Even if the HDTV does not support 720p natively, it will upconvert 720p to 1080i without much degradation of picture quality. Very few Xbox games support 720p, the only ones I know of are Enter the Matrix, Dragons Lair 3D, NBA Street Hoops, and Soul Calibur II. Most Xbox games can only go up to 480p. I agree with the fella that suggested the Samsung DLP RPHDTVs. They are the best display devices on the market today, having every feature and charactertic imaginable other than a built in HDTV tuner. They are shweeet. You should get the 50", its like $3000.

7. Aric Friesen

Aric Friesen Extra

If all HDTVs support 720p and just upconvert to 1080i, then was I misinformed that the Mitsubishi Diamond Series WS-65813 doesn't support 720p input? If so, I'll get one of those.

8. Aric Friesen

Aric Friesen Extra

Well according to everything I've checked out, none of the Mitsubishis (except their new LCOS) support 720p input. They just ignore the signal.

9. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Mitsubishi HDTV's upconvert 720p to 1080i

10. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

From my research I believe Mitsubishi does not support 720p input, and I would only buy a TV that said so on the website and do not trust the sales guys if you ask them.

11. Aric Friesen

Aric Friesen Extra

Yeah, I took my XBOX to the store, and verified the Mitsubishis DID NOT support 720p. They just displayed "unknown signal" or something like that on the two 720p games I took in.

I also verfied my settings were correct by moving to a Samsung DLP (which does support 720p) and 720p the games played fine.

There's lot's of threads all over the web about upset gamers with Mitsubishi HDTVs that don't support 720p.[​IMG]

12. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The new RCA DLP line has everything you're looking for (720p, Firewire, built in ATSC tuner that supports cable HDTV and OTA), uses a tried-and-true Infocua DLP engine, and also has a built in internet browser for those of us w/ cable or DSL internet. The availability is a little scarce (the 50" is available at some retailers, the 60" isn't out yet). This may be my next display (or FP) because I have a RCA D52W20 50" HD set that i'm really happy with.

13. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Actually, the first RCA DLP has an inane design flaw in that it won't accept 720p signals via DVI/component despite being a 720p native set. (Apparently they cut corners & reused some electronics from their CRT sets that don't accept 720p). So it won't work at full res for 720p XBox games.

I think restricting yourself to TVs with integrated tuners is too limiting, I think. They are mostly overpriced. In most cases they will become superfluous since you will need external tuner for cable / satellite anyway.

If gaming is a major use I'd go with Samsung DLP or one of the Sony, Hitachi, or Panasonic LCDs.