What's new

Trying to find a Progressive scan DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Louis J

Auditioning
Recently my Toshiba SD2700 DVD player died out on me and since I just purchased a Hitachi 51" Ultravision HDTV I figured now would be a good time to upgrade to Progressive scan. After readin hundreds of posts and reviews I am still having a difficult time deciding. Here's what I would like in my DVD player....
Dolby digital / DTS decoding
Component Video out
S Video out
Coaxial digital out
Optical digital out
Progressive scanning if it will give me better than interlaced
and the Toshiba 2700 had Video Black Level which gave a great enhancement and detailing
Here's the catch...I am more in the budget of Toshiba, Sony and Panasonic and not Denon unfortunately. I was thinking of something like a Sony DVPNS725P.
Any advice or opinions anyone would like to give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
I have the exact TV and the Sony 725. So far, the clarity is awsome but I cannot speak to the sound as I do not have my surround stuff yet. Great TV, huh! I love it.

CC has the DVD for $119.....cheers.

Louis J

Auditioning
OK, after reading even more reviews I'm think about Mitsubishi DD-8040. Sounds good so far, anyone using this DVD player that could give input?

Louis J

Auditioning
or the Panasonic RP82S...
I also forgot to mention that I'll be running this all into an Onkyo SR-700 receiver and through Cambridge Soundworks Newton S300 surrounds and Classic Towers in the front

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I've had a DD-8040 for about 3 weeks now and I love it. My previous player was a Mits DD-6030( rebadged tosh SD3800) and the two don't compare. The DD-8040 looks fantastic for film based DVDs but it really does a great job w/video based DVDs. There is no visible combing and that was a big problem w/my old player. I'm no expert but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Raj_Thiara

Agent
If you're willing to up your budget a bit, you can get the new Yamaha universal with Faroudja de-interlacer that is due out in March. The Yamaha S2300 which featured Faroudja technology was very highly rated but I think it had an MSRP of $799-999 US. The new unit has an MRSP of $399. You can read about it here:

http://www.kensei-con.net/cetc/publi...le_14633.shtml

Jay Blair

Second Unit
If you like Toshiba, the SD-4900 is a very good machine. I have the similar SD-3900, only difference is that the 4900 adds DVD-Audio. Available for about $80. Still has Video Black Level Expansion and has all the features you mention. Has 3D noise reduction that works well, giving a smooth film-like image. Can also easily me made region-free and plays PAL discs on NTSC sets.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I evaluate the Mitubishi DD-8040 a few months ago. It was fine, but I was able to get a used on EBAY Panasonic XP30 (same Faroudja video design as the RP82) and it was even better, so I returned the DD-8040. If you can't get one of the great old discontinued models like Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600 - then the DD-8040 is fine at under $250 of the available new models. Much better than the cheapo de-interlacers in other new models under $250.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks