Trying to find a Progressive scan DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Louis J, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Louis J

Louis J Auditioning

Recently my Toshiba SD2700 DVD player died out on me and since I just purchased a Hitachi 51" Ultravision HDTV I figured now would be a good time to upgrade to Progressive scan. After readin hundreds of posts and reviews I am still having a difficult time deciding. Here's what I would like in my DVD player....
    Dolby digital / DTS decoding
    Component Video out
    S Video out
    Coaxial digital out
    Optical digital out
    Progressive scanning if it will give me better than interlaced
    and the Toshiba 2700 had Video Black Level which gave a great enhancement and detailing
    Here's the catch...I am more in the budget of Toshiba, Sony and Panasonic and not Denon unfortunately. I was thinking of something like a Sony DVPNS725P.
    Any advice or opinions anyone would like to give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

2. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I have the exact TV and the Sony 725. So far, the clarity is awsome but I cannot speak to the sound as I do not have my surround stuff yet. Great TV, huh! I love it.

CC has the DVD for $119.....cheers.

3. Louis J

Louis J Auditioning

OK, after reading even more reviews I'm think about Mitsubishi DD-8040. Sounds good so far, anyone using this DVD player that could give input?

4. Louis J

Louis J Auditioning

or the Panasonic RP82S...
    I also forgot to mention that I'll be running this all into an Onkyo SR-700 receiver and through Cambridge Soundworks Newton S300 surrounds and Classic Towers in the front

5. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I've had a DD-8040 for about 3 weeks now and I love it. My previous player was a Mits DD-6030( rebadged tosh SD3800) and the two don't compare. The DD-8040 looks fantastic for film based DVDs but it really does a great job w/video based DVDs. There is no visible combing and that was a big problem w/my old player. I'm no expert but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

6. Raj_Thiara

Raj_Thiara Agent

If you're willing to up your budget a bit, you can get the new Yamaha universal with Faroudja de-interlacer that is due out in March. The Yamaha S2300 which featured Faroudja technology was very highly rated but I think it had an MSRP of $799-999 US. The new unit has an MRSP of $399. You can read about it here:

http://www.kensei-con.net/cetc/publi...le_14633.shtml

7. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

If you like Toshiba, the SD-4900 is a very good machine. I have the similar SD-3900, only difference is that the 4900 adds DVD-Audio. Available for about $80. Still has Video Black Level Expansion and has all the features you mention. Has 3D noise reduction that works well, giving a smooth film-like image. Can also easily me made region-free and plays PAL discs on NTSC sets.

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I evaluate the Mitubishi DD-8040 a few months ago. It was fine, but I was able to get a used on EBAY Panasonic XP30 (same Faroudja video design as the RP82) and it was even better, so I returned the DD-8040. If you can't get one of the great old discontinued models like Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600 - then the DD-8040 is fine at under $250 of the available new models. Much better than the cheapo de-interlacers in other new models under $250.