What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Trying to find a non-offending PG or G rated film for a Movie night (1 Viewer)

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't this thread locked yet? Or are we going "perpetual"?
If so, I'll add a vote for The Iron Giant, as well as Shrek. If you are looking for something 'high class', toss in The Seven Samurai, or it's illegitemate child, A bug's Life :D

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
HAHAHAHA!! What the hell, was Natural Born Killers and Eyes Wide Shut just a joke?!?!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

My suggestions: The Replacements/Young Frankenstein. Entertaining as shiza! I'm curious to know, are these guests an activist group against anything? No offense, don't answer me if you feel I'm being nosy, because I am.
Also, Daniel, if the thread was locked, you'd know... why ask implying it's a ridiculous subject and/or doesn't belong here?
-Bert

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
It appears that I am too late to suggest The Hunt For Red October -- it has exactly one swear word (the s-word, used to great comic effect),
I guess it depends on what you consider a "swear word," but there were a few more than one in Red October. Just out of curiosity, what part are you talking about? There was that funny "SOB" moment, but I don't remember a "s-word" comic effect. (I'm not trying to be rude; I just don't remember.)

At any rate, despite the profanity, Red October is not very offensive, and the violence, as Aaron said, is relatively mild. Plus, it's a terrific film.

I think this is a good thread to keep going; it might be helpful to other people as well.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Here's a suggestion that is really good - but a really sad animated feature. It is a film called Grave of the Fireflies, and it is a soul searing portrait of two children trying to survive in a war torn Japan. It is NOT an anti American but a very humanistic movie telling the heartbreaking results of war...

Don't forget the Hankies....

Other films by this studio that produce this include:

My Neighbor Totoro - only avail in vhs dubbed. The delightful tale of two young sisters and their discovery of forest spirits and creatures in 1950's Japan.

Kiki's Delivery Service- the late Phil Hartman was Gigi the Cat in this heartwarming tale of a young witch trying to make in in the big city.

Castle of Cagliostro - an animated feature that has 007 like action and a great story with the descendant of Arsene Lupin, and a great cast of friends and enemies.

Princess Mononoke - just see it.

Good luck, and try these titles out for size.

derek

Second Unit
Here's one that was missed: "The Phantom" with Billy Zane. Extremely underrated movie and DVD yet clearly sticks to the comic book superhero mold very well. My wife and I watched it last night. Excellent anamorphic transfer and 5.1 soundtrack. Fun and exciting with romance and action...reminds me of Zorro (has Catherine Zeta Jones before she was well known) and the new Spiderman in ways. Content includes a few s and hell words...and some tense scenes, and a few deaths (in a comic book vein.) Treat Williams is truly an over-the-top treat! Highly recommended.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
There was that funny "SOB" moment, but I don't remember a "s-word" comic effect. (I'm not trying to be rude; I just don't remember.)
I always laugh, especially since it comes at such a tense moment.

I didn't think about it, but there is at least one SOB, and a bunch of damns and hells, but pretty mild.

Re: The Phantom -- I thought it was played just a little too straight, so people didn't really get just how silly/funny it was. And any movie with the line "No smoking in the Skull Cave" is worth seeing, if you ask me.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
I think Central Park Media is coming out with a collector's edition this october, with a 5.1 track and commentary so check that out.

*Crosses fingers*

Most features by Studio Ghibli are very well done and can be labelled "films" rather than cartoons.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I love The Phantom for one reason:

Patrick McGoohan!

BTW, I was asking if the thread was going to be locked because the business it was created for is finished, but if we want to keep it going, I suggest it become a "perpetual 'sensitive guests' screen list" thread. (sorta like the anime discussion thread)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Holy mother of CRAP! :angry:
I saw "Grave of the Fireflies" listed here. The title sounded intriguing, so I looked it up on Amazon. The review gave pretty much the whole thing away! :angry: I'm buying the DVD, but not from Amazon, out of spite for that review.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Thanks you all for ressurecting this thread!. There will be many more movie nights to come. I would never hear about some of the films mentioned if it weren't for the great support of the people in the forum.

I am going to try and check some of these titles out. Hopefully I can find Princess Mononoke somewhere locally.

Thanks folks,

Michael.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Dr. Dolittle 1 and/or 2. I liked both but first one was funny for a children's movie.
Michael still typed keep them coming. ;)
-Bert

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty much any romantic comedy with Meg Ryan should serve the purpose perfectly.
-When Harry Met Sally(just skip the orgasm scene
:D )
-French Kiss
-Sleepless in Seattle
-Kate&Leopold
-Joe Versus the volcano
-You've got mail

FilipM

Stunt Coordinator
Get some new friends Michael... ;)
Just kidding. :b
I have to say Sleepless In Seattle also. Its fits everything you asked for and is a very sweet little movie.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I have Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Mononoke on DVD.
I am concerned that although they are all great animated films,
I am not sure if they would qualify under the no violence request.
Grave of the Fireflies is a very mature animated film about
the lives of two children after a war bombing of their city.
Although animated, grave events are shown to happen to
people during the movie.
Princess Mononoke is an animated film about the battle
between defending nature and expanding industry.
The setting is partly fantasy, but the animated depiction
of conflicts are clearly shown.

To give an analogy;
It is not like an old style war movie when someone is killed
and all you see is them falling over, it is more like
current action films that would show a bullet going into
someone. (Saving Private Ryan).

The question is, does an animated film of pain or violence
carry the same weight as a live action film?
That depends on the viewers.
I recommend that Michael watch the movies first, then
decide if he should show his friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McMillan
Recent bookmarks