Trying to figure out SVS calibration

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DavidHuguet, Oct 14, 2003.

1. DavidHuguet

DavidHuguet Agent

Aug 11, 2003
    I have tested different room placements with my sub, using a custom 15-80hz 5second test tone sweep and a RadioShack meter, and put together the following spreadsheet. The spreadsheet dB's are compensated already using SVS's compensation values.

you can go here to download the spreadsheet (remove the spaces - silly restrictions!!)

www .hometheaterspot .com/htsthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB73&Number=485314&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=&vc=

Looks like the flattest of the 4 locations is the back corner, but there's still a dip around 72 hz. I'm running it from a Harman Kardon AVR325 with JBL s38's all around (45hz -3 dB point) and a s-center (75hz -3db point) and the crossover set internally on the AVR to 80 hz.

So with the dip at 70hz, should I set the crossover instead to 60hz on the S38's, and keep the S-center at 80, or adjust the S-center up higher to 100hz? I've heard people talk about setting your speakers to 1/3 octave higher, but I don't know what an octave is in HZ...

Now I'm trying to figure out crossover and phase settings. I have the AVIA disc, and using their subwoofer phase setting tracks, my ear can't tell any difference in the phase setting on the there a better option? what should I use for that?

Also, I currently have it calibrated to -5 (out of -10 to +10) for Dolby Digital 5.1 on my HK AVR325, and am not sure whether I need to specifically set the DTS LFE setting to +5 to compensate, or if the receiver will do that internally? I don't have a way to calibrate my VCR analog inputs, or TV inputs...what does one do with those?

Please could someone clarify what to do?
  2. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

Nov 4, 2002