What's new

Trying to decide what type of TV/HDTV I should buy, advice please. (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I will be getting married in Dec. and I am looking to buy a new TV set. I’m thinking of either getting a 36” TV or a “cheaper” HDTV because I am eventually planing to go the FPTV route. So this will be my sort of “in between” TV until I can afford the FPTV set up. After I get the projector, the TV/HDTV will be used for casual TV watching. My questions are:

1. Would you recommend spending the extra money on an HDTV now or buy a 36” TV and put the money I saved by buying a non-HDTV towards a projector.

2. Can somebody recommend a relatively inexpensive HDTV that I can do some research on? I’m looking for one with a wide viewing angle.

Thanks!

James

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
you should be able to get into a cheaper Panasonic RPTV (50" or so) and or Toshiba below $1500, which is probably even cheaper than the 36" direct view HDTV alternative.

Elbert

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
I was sort of in the same situation you are, I needed a better TV (10yr old 27" RCA with only composite input), but don't want a RPTV because of its size and can't afford a projector right now. I intend to eventually get a projector for movie watching (couple of years probably) then use the regular TV for everything else. Unless Plasmas come way down in price by then of course. :D
I picked up a Hitachi 32UDX10S from Cicuit City for $1199 (in store price only I think, online is 1299, they had free delivery too when I got mine, may be over though), DVD looks spectacular, regular TV looks good. Only downsides are 1 component input and it is not flatscreen, though the curve is fairly slight on the 32" (haven't seen the 36") so not that big of a deal. Of course the big upside is the price, much less than comparable HD sets.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Take a look at the HD ready samsung sets,,They come 27 32 and 36 inch direct view are run about the same as a good analog set...The samsungs are getting good reviews....These are 4.3 HD ready sets but still the way to go over analog..The 27" set goes for 899, 32" 1199 and 36" betweem 1399 and 1499

The least expensive 16.9 HD ready set is the 47inch RPTV by panasonic which goes for between 1599 and 1799

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks