What's new

Trying to choose a satellite system (2 Viewers)

Darren_T

Second Unit
Hi,
Yes, I'm new and still pretty ignorant about satellite systems. I've done some on-line research on DirecTV and Dish Network. I've noticed the price advantage of Dish Network, sports channels advantage of DirecTV, and noticed that there are several DVR options for either.
I'm really having trouble making a decision. I was hoping you all could point out some things I might have missed, maybe some of the more technical specs of different DVRs. I have a home theater system with DD/DTS decoding so I'd like to take advantage of any DD broadcasting. I'm not equipped for HDTV and won't be for at least a couple years so I don't think HDTV would be a consideration although being ready for it when I am set up would be a benefit but not a deciding factor. I also have 3 TVs that I'd like to hook up. The main TV/Home Theater would have the DVR and the other 2 would just need basic boxes. I don't see any literature on the Dish Network about any extra equipment to support 3 TV's, one with a DVR system. DirecTV requires a signal multiplier or the upgraded oval dish.
I also would really like to have the ability to record a separate channel while watching another channel. Not sure Dish Network offers a box with that capability. Am I wrong?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Darren
------------------
[Edited last by Darren_T on October 03, 2001 at 02:16 PM]

James Reyes

Stunt Coordinator
I believe sometime before the end of this year, EchoStar will come out with the model 721 which will be a dual tuner/dual hard drive unit that will allow PinP and record one thing while watching another. For now you can get the 501, but if dual tuner is a must hold out for the 721. The advantage with DISH is that PVR functionality is totally free.
------------------
James Reyes
www.libertyforums.com

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 20" dish for Dishnetwork comes with support for two receivers standard. You will need to order the optional Quad LNB that supports up to four receivers. More than four requires two dual LNBs and multiple switches.
-Robert

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
With the merger (subject to the politicians' approval) of Dish and DirecTV I'd go with the cheapest alternative and wait to see what happens.
The obvious thing to do is go with Dish because Dish is absorbing DirecTV...but there are more DirecTV subscribers. If subscribers are required to change equipment there will have to be subsidies or aome other incentive to keep existing subscribers from jumping to cable. The combined company would save money by adopting DirecTV equipment. Who knows what's happening?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks