Trying to build a Sanus type rack...Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

Oct 24, 1999
    I would like to build something similar to the Sanus Rack found @
    I have never done anything like this before, but plan on buying a HDTV in two years and would like to build a 5-6 shelf rack for my equipment and then a video table/shelf for the TV when I buy it.
    Right now I am willing to start working on the rack, and I think that the Sanus Natural Audio rack looks like it might not be too hard to make and would be a good starting project. The only tool I have is a jigsaw, workbench, some clamps, and a Dremmel.
    Basically, I am asking the builders of HTF for your advise and wisdom. I am just starting to get into woodworking and being a Seminary Student, I tend to be on the poor side, heh.
    Let the questions begin:
    Is there a certain place I should go to get my wood? Can I get glass cut there?
    Should I just go to a HiFi A/V store and measure all the equipment, and then take them to Home Depot or Lowes?
    Can I get Glass cut at Lowes or Home Depot?
    Should I buy more tools for the project?
    Are there any easy projects for audio racks and TV table/racks that I should look into instead of attempting to make a Sanus want-a-be rack?
    I don't plan on using the metal rods at the top and bottom, but a piece of wood. I like the idea of a backing that conceals the chords, and plan on trying to go that too.
    Thank you so much for all of you that help me with this project! I appreciate all the help and will let you all know how the project goes when I start it and show off the finished product.
    In Him,
    My Home
  2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

May 27, 2001

Myram Second Unit

Aug 18, 2001
    Can't find any HT picture links in your sig.....could you post it so I could take a look too.
    Home Theater Page
  4. Brett Robert

Brett Robert Agent

Nov 12, 2000
    Looking at the racks I would have to say that you need to work your way up to building them. As far as a DIY rack I agree, I would build a flexi rack. They look cool and are not that complcated. What I saw on that link wouldn't be all that hard to build if you had a shop. It is hard to put out nice looking stuf with a skill saw router and a belt sander. It can be done. I have seen some nice speaker cabinets floating around these pages that were made with minimal tools. Good luck either way
    Champagne tastes with a beer budget
    My HT
  5. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

Aug 15, 2001
    I am also hunting for a rack to build. These are two that I have considered.
    Very nice oak rack, fashioned after a famous maker:
    A flexi that has plenty of room:
    The flexi method is probably your best bet if you have limited woodworking skills. Home Depot will cut wood to your specs, with the first two being free ($0.25 per after). You can get the other hardware there also. If economy is what you are after, this is the way to go.
    There are a lot of flexi designs on this forum. Do a search to find a style that fits your needs.
    Good luck.