Trying something new (for me) - need some advice

Discussion in 'Computers' started by david.mcrae, Jul 26, 2003.

1. david.mcrae

david.mcrae Auditioning

Here is something I am trying- I want to be able to play all of my MP3s that are on my Laptop (that were all legally copied from CDs I purchased [​IMG] ). What I would like to do is connect it into my network somehow so that I can play songs at will or set a playlist for hours of music (like a 2000+ song jukebox). I do not know of a way to link it in directly to the network, I thought of using my old Pentium II computer as a remote station that I can control using the wireless LAN to transmit the signal using direct line in/line out to the receiver. Does anyone have a way I can set this up to receive the highest quality sound? By the way- I am also thinking of connecting the TV up through the monitor link cable so that I can run streaming video/PC games on the big screen.

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The problem with using an old computer is that they are usually noisy (fan noise) and use a lot of electricity for the task. You might be better off using one of the new digital media hubs coming on the market. It should work "out of the box", so if you figure the time saved in addition to the electricity, it might pay for itself.

PC Magazine did a roundup recently, and they picked the Prismiq MediaPlayer as their top choice. It won't display live video, like from a game, which is a really high-bandwidth operation, but it will play MPEG movies and MP3s from a networked computer.

//Ken