What's new

trying real hard to setup my home theatre (1 Viewer)

Creeper001

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Mc.
Hi All:
I hope there is some god out there can help with my home theater setup.
I’m new to this kind of forum so please be kind.
I just purchased new components for my home system.
here they are as follows
HDTV: SOYO model 4218A
DVD: PHILIPS DVDR3400
Receiver: SONY HT-DDW900
CABLE BOX: Scientific Atlantic Explorer 3250HD
I’m hoping that someone out there can walk me through the whole process
Of hooking up all the components for the best possible video and sound.
The manuals are good but they don’t relate to my particular setup

bassman99floyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jimmy
Tough question to answer, without more knowledge of all your components. What kind of inputs does your TV have? If the TV has Component Video Inputs (CVI) use a Component Video Cable (CVC) (Red, Blue & Green) will be needed.

Because I didn't feel like typing out the full words for CVI, your equipment might call them by the full word. HDMI could be another choice.

Think of it this way, the DVD has to send the video OUT to your TV, in order to view. Use CVI OUT of DVD, to CVCI IN on TV. If either/or doesn't have these type of connection, use Video OUT on DVD to Video in on the TV. This is usually a single yellow tipped cable. S-VHS might be another possibility?

Either way, this is how your TV will receive a video signal from the DVD. Repeat these steps for all your video components. Hopefully your TV has multiple video ins (antennaes)?

Will you ever want to watch TV, and not have your HT on? Does your receiver have fiber optic inputs, or just RCA? Connect all audio outs of each component(TV, DVD, VCR & Cable box) to your receiver. The better the cable, the cleaner the signal going to each component will be.

If you would want to watch TV without turning on your receiver, then send audio and video to your TV. Then use Audio out of your TV, to Audio In on your receiver. This isn't the best way for HT, but it'll work.

If you're in the NY area, I could help you further.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Connect video cables from cable box to TV
Connect video cables from DVD to TV

Connect audio cables from cable box to TV
Connect audio cables from DVD to TV

It's pretty simple, really.

Creeper001

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Mc.
Thanks jimmy i'll give it a try and let you know.
By the way the TV has 1 DVI plug ..plus the regular jacks (component)
The amp has 2 optical inputs and 1 Coaxial digital input.
It's not the greatest but it's good for now.
The LCD HDTV does not have any info right now but i know it's not DHCP compatable so i have to install the DVD through component cables.
thanks.
Colin

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Could I give some other advice:

Position your equipment in a rack in the following order:

Receiver - Bottom shelf. This stabalizes the rack, gives room above for heat to escape and helps with wire management because the speaker wires will naturally flow out/away from the other equipment.

Cable Box - Put this on a shelf above the receiver. Since you never touch this, having it low down is fine.

DVD Player - Put this on a higher shelf so you dont have to bend/stoop to interact with it.

AC Power wires - Looking at the back of the rack, decide where most of the power wires come out (left or right). Put a power strip on this side. Put a white label "A" on both the plug end and the equipment end of 1 power cord and plug it in. Use "B" for the next one, "C" for the next, etc. Tack the top power cord to the side of the rack and then snag the other AC power cords from your rack equipment along it to the power strip.

Speaker Wires: Get a spool of good 12 ga oxygen free speaker wire and hook up your speakers. Be very careful to not let strands of copper stick out that could cause a short later. Banana plugs like the dual plugs from Radio Shack are ideal - if your equipment has the same spacing. (Buy 1 set and try it out). The dual plugs stick out a bit too far so I only use these behind my speakers. Radio Shack has some nice single-bananas that un-screw into 2 parts, you fold copper over a lip and tighten the top down. Very easy and very secure. 278-308, 278-310

If you do this, the back of your rack should now be empty ready for your interconnects. The power cords should be out of the way as well as the speaker wires.

INTERCONNECTS:

The simplest is to run 2 component cables to your receiver and 1 out to the TV. Also run audio to your receiver. The receiver now acts as a switch.

Use component cables rated for HD video. Ordinary component cables are usually only designed for 480i signals from 1940's. www.bluejeanscables.com is a inexpensive custom cable site that has lots of happy customers here. (The owner is a fellow HTF member.)

Hope this helps.

LUKassZ32

Agent
Real Name
luke

Not considering the actual placement of the equipment, here is a good way to hook them up!

For video I would run a DVI to HDMI from your HD cable receiver to your tv.

For video for the DVD player run a component cable into the TV.

Now for audio: Buy 2 optical audio cables
And run one from HD cable box and one from DVD player to your receiver. DO NOT buy into the monster cables are superior garbage. You will only be wasting money!!!

Then you usually have to go into the receiver settings and designate the channel setting ie: TV/SAT, DVR/VCR, DVD/LD, CD, etc to the optical input you want it to be.

Then there is a general set of steps you run through on your receiver which allows you to pick 5.1, 7.1, etc speaker distance from listener, speaker strength(usually center is a bit higher), and other settings which are just common sense. MAKE sure you set up your 5.1 dolby digital or it won't sound good...as much as u dislike the manual it will walk you through this as its different for all receivers! Other than that good luck

Creeper001

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Mc.
Thanks Bob I do just that.

Never heard of HD component cables.... Just quality component cables but i will check these out ASAP.
We now have the Source here in Canada.
Do you know the name of the best cables from that store...Other than (Monster cables) there way ..way over priced!!
Or order from the link you sent?... BNC or RCA?

Creeper001

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Mc.
Thanks Luke
I did read the manual WHEW! big book!
the audio i have it right now. ... and the video from cable box to TV is good.
Just want to get the DVD video better ( looks grainy) I also learned the my HDTV is NOT dhcp compatable. So i can't go the DVI root...Works great for hooking up the computer but NOT the Cable box Or DVD....Just noticed that my cable coming from DVD player is NOT red blue green but white yellow red so tommorow i'll fix that and let you know

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks