Trying Out a Marantz DV-6500

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve Winkler, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Picked up a Marantz DV6500 universal player a few days ago to see how it performs with DVD Audio and SACD.
    The only other universal player I have tried is the Pioneer 578a and the Marantz definitely sounds better. It must have to do with being able to adjust individual channel levels and better DAC's in the DV6500. To describe the sound is at best an opinion, but I think it sounds very rich, warm, and detailed. No strain at high volumes and just a pleasure to listen to. There are some drawbacks:

1. The navigation on the 6500 is rather slow.
    2. The power cord does not detach.
    3. The front display is not very big or readable.
    4. The connections are limited, i.e. no i-link, DVI, or HDMI.

Overall, I do like this player, it's sound, it's asthetics, but for it's price ($700CAD), I'm undecided if I'm going to keep it. I think I need to audition the Yamaha S-1500 as well and see how it stacks up. It's a liitle less money and if the audio is solid, it may do until i-link players and receivers become more affordable.

Happy Holidays,

Steve

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Im interested in hoe the 6500 handles bass management for SACD and DVD-A. The the 6400 was just a re-badged Pioneer 45a, which doesnt do BM for DVD-A.

I have the s-1500. I did a review of it here in this forum. For SACD, it wont do large + sub, but at least it has several crossover freqs (and slopes) to choose from. DVD-A is large only.

If its cheap i-link you want, why not go for the 47ai?

3. Steve Winkler

Hi Rob. The manual for the DV6500 states that it crosses over at 100hz for dvd audio if your speakers are set to small and the sub is on. It makes no mention of what it uses for SACD. I do want cheap i-link but my receiver doesn't have it and I'm not in any other need to upgrade it at this point in time. Not sure what a 47ai is going for around these parts and the one retail chain I know that carries it has a terrible return/exchange policy.

As for the Yamaha s-1500, are you saying that for DVD-A, there is no form of bass management at all?? That's rather odd. There may be no point in trying it out then.

Hope I answered your question.

Steve

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    The 6400 DOES apply bass management to DVD-A, crossed at 100hz, and applies speaker delay settings as well. It applies bass management to SACD at 80hz, but no speaker delay.

5. Steve Winkler

Hey Paul, how's things in Montreal?? We have finally hit the deep-freeze for weather here outside of Cowtown. [​IMG]

I think the 6500 handles bass management the same way as the 6400. I don't think I can tell whether or not the delays are applied to SACD, my room is relatively small, 17' X 11'. The set-up menu doesn't differ between SACD or DVD-Audio, not sure how the 6400 looks.

All in all, I am enjoying this player and will probably be keeping it despite it's high enough price.

Cheers,

Steve