Try this $20 tweak

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian OK, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

A system enhancement CD disc by AYRE Acoustics called "Irrational, But Efficacious"
    Contain 7 tracks -- the Full Glide Tone, Track 7, is especially effective. It contains a 300 second glide tone that sweeps from 5Hz to 20kHz. Also has short glide tone, white noise, pink noise, brown noise, mono brown noise, out-of-phase brown noise tracks. This disc will also let you know how your room acoustics are behaving, or not. A very valuable disc to have, honestly.
    As stated, this tool disc "... we suspect that it functions by demagnetizing residual fields that build up in your components over time" A note follows ... "special thanks and a tip of the hat to George Cardas, ever the curious audio explorer".
    This disc will clean your pipes, remove the webs, tune it up, call it whatever... this disc willjust leave you going ... holy shit! Don't know how it works, and don't care. It will definately put a shine on your system. And no, I don't work for Ayre.
    Worth every cent. Throw it in your DVD player and run PROLOGIC mode too. BUT KEEP THE VOLUME DOWN ON THIS DISC.
    found at http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...asp?sku=ACARCD[/url] FYI --- In the comments section, just type in Spring Flyer 10% and get 10% off your order.
    Audiogon forum (tech talk) has some good thoughts on it too --see soundstage walking thread from a week ago.
    BOK

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer

3. Brian OK

Gee Alf,

No need to give it your thumbs down ... you "probably" would see a benefit from this disc.

I don't know the S&V disc, but if it works for you, then great.

This Ayre disc didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. BTW.

It was awarded the Golden Ear Award from the Absolute Sound.

Don't know who finished second.

Happy listening

BOK

PS -- I should add that Ayre states that "While we don't have conclusive proof of the mechanism involved, we suspect that it functions by demagnetizing residual fields that build up in your components over time". I, myself, feel that one must simply take it at face value. Noboby has all the answers (in audio too :^(. To jump on this statement is ... well just laziness and disingenuous. It's a face value purchase, and, like many things, one must try it, experience it, before passing judgement. My .02

Also, the "brown noise" track is "excellent for use in breaking-in components and cables".

4. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    OK. Oh, yeah, the "brown noise," I've heard about that.

They did a whole episode of "South Park" about it. You definitely would not want to play it loud.

5. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Wasn't that the note that made everyone in the whole world crap their pants? I'd buy the disc just to play that sound to people who ask me to get rid of the black bars when I put on a movie. [​IMG]

6. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Hey come on guys. I think Brian is just trying to give us his opinion of a product he's bought that's all. Isn't that what this site is all about? I don't think there's a need to raz someone about his or her opinions about something. If you disagree, hey that's fine, but let's try to be a little more mature about it alright?

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I saw it when I was perusing through elusivedisc.com, Brian. I was gonna post asking if anybody had heard of it or used it.
    I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks for pushing me over the edge.[​IMG]
    DJ

8. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hey guys, this is a tweaking area of the forum. If you dont believe tweaking please butt out. (or at least remain civil - which you are). Dont know where Im going argh!!!!

Anyways, for $20 I ll give it a shot. Thanks!!

Gregg

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

That's funny, I asked about this disc a few weeks back and everyone agreed that demagnetization for a CD player was a farce. Now, I just may give it a try...thanks, BOK!

10. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Do they have any return policy if you find out it doesn't help your system?

11. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I'm gonna give it a try

Marc

12. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I admit I was just being a butt with the comment about the "brown noise" on "South Park,"
    But in his original post, Brian DID say:

13. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

After you guys give it a try, please post your comments. Based on which way those go, I'll give it a try too. SHit, it's 20 bucks.

14. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

For $20, I believe I will give it a go; I've never heard of anything like it! Thx Brian

15. Brian OK

Thanks Gregg for keeping the tweaks forum an open forum. I truly appreciate that. It is easy to discount a subjective assessment of a "so called tweak".

There is a lot of voodoo out there for sure.

I have been out for a few days and thought I would respond about what I have heard in my system after running this disc.

After running the disc three straight times, I was mostly impressed by my bass response --- better extended, more punch. And my sub (Def Tech PTL 15) had to be the component which responded most favorably. The holy shit comment probably originated from the sub response.

Smoother mids and a very extended, and detailed HF response.

It just elevated the accuracy of my system --- sorry, it is very difficult to throw words at the change. More refined, accurate, responsive, timing (so called PRAT).

I will not layer my impressions any more other than to say that I am in the process of moving my front soundstage up to the Paradigm Reference 60/CC and have , at times(after the disc), wondered why.

I currently run the Monitor 7's and CC 350.

Please, let us know all impressions once you give it a spin.

BOK

16. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer

17. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Actually, ultrasonic frequencies may make sense for a phono cartridge. Remember, if you're talking about the Cardas disc, it's an LP, not a CD (at least, I don't know if there's a CD version too or not). Ultrasonic frequencies can dislodge dirt on the surface of the stylus that normal brushing cannot get off. It can also loosen up the suspension of an old moving coil cartridge that hasn't been played for some time. He does say "ultrasonically clean the cartridge stylus". AFAIK, there are many cleaning devices in many industries (not just audio) which use ultrasonic frequencies to clean objects.
    Degaussing - I don't know how that applies to audio systems, but I do know that computer monitors do work better if you degauss them once in a while. For audio components, the only things that I can think of that could be affected are transformer cores. I don't remember enough about hysteresis (sp) or eddy currents to know how this might work, if at all.
    Anyway... just the other side of the coin, i.e., not everything that sounds like BS is necessarily BS [​IMG]

18. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Saurav,
    Brian is definitely talking about a CD. [​IMG]

19. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I know, I was referring to the text quoted by Alf S, which definitely sounds like a description of the Cardas sweep record. If he's talking about a CD too, then I completely agree with him, I don't see how a CD can clean a cartridge stylus. Of course, you could put the CD on a turntable and play that, maybe that would work [​IMG]

20. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

Um, how do you "demagnetize" a laser?