What's new

try again (1 Viewer)

Alan.M

Grip
How would you spend a 1,000 dollars if you where looking to buy five surround speakers to go with new jvc 56" tv hard wood floors open beam ceiling appx 750 sq foot room panna receiver 120 watts and already have cerwin vega sub 150 watts?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd probably go with the SBS package as well, WITH the PB-10 sub and sell the CV sub. The only problem is if you want them NOW, because they are backordered.

If it were me, I'd seriously take a look at 3 Ascend CMT-340SEs up front, 2 CBM 170s out back and use the current sub (until you can replace it with an HSU or SVS :D ) That came out to $1118 + shipping I think.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
I have to agree with the SVS SBS system. The first time I heard it was at Robb Roy's house, the second time I heard it was at my friends house (I recommended the system to him) the third time, well my house.

I had another friend over and he said he felt as if he was at the godsmack concert, he felt as if he was in pearl harbor and was part of the pod race.

After hearing the system myself I ordered a set up for my son. Well it is in my HT. The sound is incredible, the clarity is something you only hear from speakers costing thousands more. Cymbals, keyboards and guitars sound fantastic. The Center channel is very impressive. Though it is small the voices sound so natural and clear. I have had 5 center channels, Klipsch RC3, RC7, a cambridge sound, Rockets 200, and a def tech. By far the SBS center channel, though not the loudest, is best balanced, true sounding and lacks the tinny sound so many other center channels exhibit.

I highly recommend this system. It is so tough to go with a system that you can't demo.

If you have to wait for it to be back in stock you will not regret it.

Scott

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
That's a big room....and a "live" one to boot.

Knowing exactly what receiver you have would help, but assuming the standard 100watts/channel spec and that the most expensive Panasonic receiver I know of costs @$400, I would say if you don't listen at reference level, a set of something like the following would probably work well (I'm sticking to speakers that I've heard myself and that you can audition yourself):

Four Infinity Beta Series BETA 20s + matching C250 center channel (I just saw all these at Circuit last night, don't know why they aren't on their site)

Four Boston Acoustics CR75s and VRC center channel (tweeter is aluminum, rather than that Kortec material, but sound is very close; the CRC7 & CRC centers are just too small in my opinion).

If you do listen at reference level, I would have normally recommended Klipsch's Reference Series with that receiver because of their higher efficiency, but in that live room their forward sound would probably become fatiguing quite quickly.

And I haven't heard these but based on several reports elsewhere (including AudioAsylum of all places) this series of efficient speakers don't share that much with their more well-known brothers, not surprising since they were designed by an engineer who used to work for NHT & use a soft dome tweeter supplied by Vifa*: Cerwin-Vega CLSC-6, a 2-way w/6.5" woofer. Amazon and J&R usually have these for only about $150 per pair. Their list price is actually double that, but CV gets a lot of undeserved crap from snotty audiophiles which tarnishes their reputation. Though admittedly (IMO) they aren't exactly the most beautiful speakers to look at so that might be slowing down sales too. Lastly, I think they must be built decently because they weigh just 1 pound less than my 2-way/8" Bostons that are in much larger cabinets. CV also sells a matching center channel.

* i.e. schmoooooth

Alan.M

Grip
Thank you all for the reply's and yes some times I wish we lived in a larger area so one would have more choice's.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Considering your budget, room size and assumed room acoustics from your description, I would suggest the following Ascend Acoustics package consisting of:

CBM-170 SE
CBM-170 SE center
CBM-170 SE surround pr
STF-2 sub

This package comes to $1,178 plus $81 S/H = 1,259.00 total

A bit more than you've noted for a budget, but for that size room and that receiver, the 170s are fairly sensitive, neutral and should offer a nice solid soundfield coupled with the STF-2. I would suggest the SVS package as well, however the CBM-170s would be a notably better option, other than the SVS sub, which is very difficult to beat at less than $500.00.

Another option would be to take the 5 CBM-170s at $844.00 shipped and couple it with the SVS PB-10 for approx. $470 putting that package a little over $1300. Again, a bit more than your noted budget, but for that size of room, you'll need a decent speaker package and sub such as this.
Also, you may want to be on the lookout for a b-stock SVS to go with a solid 5 speaker setup, that would provide an even better value.

The Infinity Beta suggestion is also a decent package. Did not see these at CC, but you could get 4 Beta 10s and a Beta C250 for just over $900 (w/free 3 day FexEx shipping).

And lastly, use the existing Cerwin Vega sub, maybe pick up another if you're fond of it and look at the CBM-170 package for approx. 850.00. This would likely be your most cost-effective package.

Good luck on your search! :cool: -TD

DaveD'

Stunt Coordinator
My budget is similar to yours. I've been looking at a lot of speakers recently for a small spaced HT and am pretty decided on getting the 170 SE setup as Tom described so there's another vote for them.

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
If you want something that looks more contemporary than boxy wooden cabinets, give Celestion Soundstyle series a try. I've kept my boxy speakers for the two channel setup, and bought Celestion for family room HT. It was one of the most satisfying purchases in the recent years, and by far the best purchase when normalized for per dollar cost. Great sounding for music and HT, clear dialog, good resolution, and even pulls an disappearing act. Check out the famous online auction site for great price. And save the rest of the money for good sub / upscaling DVD player / receiver upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks