What's new

Truthfully, do any of you really read all of super long threads? (1 Viewer)

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
This board has a whole lot of members, with a whole lot of opinions about a whole lot of stuff. I was reading a three-page thread about last week's Enterprise episode, and after about the 10th take about what was wrong with the episode (about 3/4 of the way down the first page), I decided that I needed to move onto another thread.
After thinking about it, I realized that I almost never read past the first page in any thread. There are so many posts that I want to give attention to, and I'd have to make this a full time occupation if I were to read every message in every post.
How about everyone else? Do you faithfully follow these threads through until they finally trail off? Maybe the board software should be modified to automatically lock threads after a certain number of posts. If it's a good topic, a new thread could always be started to continue it (maybe with a link to the old one). I dunno. One thing I do know is I would never bother to post an opinion three or four pages down into a thread, because I suspect it would rarely if ever be read.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Before participating in a thread, at least have the courtesy to read all the posts that have preceded you. Why repeat something someone else has already said?

If I chime in before I've read all the posts, I say so in my post.

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe I just read this entire thread ;)
It really depends on the topic -- I have yet to even open a Word Association thread

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
If it's a thread that interests me, I'll read from the first to the last post (like the Rotel Pro/Pro or Outlaw 950 threads). If it's a post I can tell from the title I won't be interested in, I don't even click on it. That's how I filter out what to read and what not to read.

For instance, I'm happy with my sub, so I never enter the subwoofer section at all. Same with receivers.

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I pretty much mirror Evans attitude. I read all posts in topics I find interesting.

But, I still browse through all sections for topics that I might find helpful. For example, I have a Denon 4802, so I check the receiver area pretty much specifically about topics concerning the 4802 and ignore most of the rest.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
If it's a thread that interests me said:
Jack, I think you may have hit the nail on the head for me. There have been many threads I wanted to post to, but didn't bother because after reading the thread, I realized my opinion had already been stated with sufficient elegance. Judging by the amount of repetition in some threads, I suspect not everyone is following your advice. :D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Nope. I don't even go there. Unfortunately, the Star Wars Two thread I want to get in to, but it is way to big. When it started it took off way too fast for me to keep up with.

A couple of months ago there was a discussion about breaking up the big ones into certain aspects, but its a lose/lose situation. The mods are supposed to stop all second and third threads on topics to keep it from 'taking over a section. This happened when TPM came out.

However, as I think they do realize now, but on a slightly different basis, the problem is that if you pose a question in a thread like the one for Star Wars 2, it will quickly get buried and thus, never get answered.

Glenn

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Not only do I not read to the end, I will rarely even open a thread that has more than 2 pages unless I have been following it the whole time. There are topics I have been interested in, but seeing like 400 posts spread across 8 pages is just plain daunting.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Are you kidding? Some threads are so long it will take me days to rummage thru the waffle to get to the good parts, fnarf fnarf, no I think members should highlight the best bits in RED so the really lazy members like moi can skim thru it at ludicrous speed, I tried reading the Word Association thread once and it didn't make one iota of sense, there was no build up lads, no dramatic resolution.:)
And heres a tip always sprinkle some mild profanity in a long thread it helps keep the rest of us awake, especially when I'm on in the middle of the night, with my eyes propped up with matches.;)
My favorite longie so far is the LOTR discussion thread over yonder movie page, its nice, its interesting and the detail is amazing, it also helps if you're genuinely interested in the subject matter.
Hmmmm that indestructible Thread Killer thread makes for an interesting read, I love the colored font particularly, and the songs are smashing!:emoji_thumbsup:
Ok I've waffled enough.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
No. I didn't even read any of the posts in this thread. I just replied here to increase my post count. :)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Not all of the time, but I try to. If it is a subject that I'm really interested in, I make it a point to read all of the posts. Sometimes, I simply look for my favorite people and read their posts only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks