What's new

"Trust me Clark, our friendship is going to be the stuff of Legend" - Smallville (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I'm sure there have probably been more than a few threads with regards to Smallville, but I felt I had to start my own.
Right now, this is my favorite show on Television, neck & neck with Family Guy & Simpsons.
I've always been a big superman-geek. I've got figures, posters, comics, toys... you name it... I've also always loved the Superman character, and I know a lot of the mythos & story. I've gotta say how impressed I am with this show. The one-liners and forshadowing snuck in by the writers is simply classic. They really seem to have done their homework, and know the characters well. Sure, there's a bit of "revamping" going on to shine it up for the younger generation, but each of the characters are definately assuming their own individualities.
I'm especially impressed with the relationship between Lex & Clark. Poignant & Sad, given that the two of them eventually end up to be the worst of enemies (or rather, Lex & Clark's alter ego).
I can't help but smile every time the writers sneek in a gem like the one in the subject line (spoken by Lex Luthor to Clark Kent, in episode #11).
This show is miles above "Lois & Clark" insofar as quality, story, character, acting, mood, atmosphere, etc.
The only suggestion I have is to rely less on some of the meteor'ish superfreek episodes, and develop some of the more human aspects of the story. I heard some rumors about future storylines that have me drooling. :)
Just had to publicly voice my appreciation for this show. Here's hoping that WB doesn't pull a FOX and ditch it.
Moe.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Moe,

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing. You've echoed my thoughts exactly.

Smallville is absolutely my favorite new show. When I first heard about the premise of the series I was very skeptical. But being a huge Superman fan I had to check it out.

What a pleasant surprise! Smallville is SMART! The casting is PERFECT! The writers have taken the basic characters and premise and have made it their own. I am thrilled with what they have done. Although I think the kryptonite-monster-of-the-week is a bit overdone, it doesn't really overshadow the development of Clark, Lex, Lana and the others.

The biggest surprise for me is the relationship between Clark and Lex. Although they are destined to be mortal enemies I root for their friendship to persevere.

"Lois and Clark" had some potential but in the second season it was mired in silly stories. Plus there was no villian who should have been a match for Superman. It didn't have half the brains that Smallville does.

Smallville has such great potential. I hope it is on for many seasons.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Mike & Moe,

Thank you for making me feel not so alone.

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this show. I used to think I liked "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures...", but now I know how good this legend can translate to mainstream audiences. As soon as each episode ends, I am ready for more.

My 10 year old son is always there watching it with me too. He pointed out to me that watching this show is like watching a Star Wars prequel each week. We KNOW who Vader is, but what make him turn out the way he did?

For the first time in over 20 years, WB is doing something good for Superman.

C

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere (I think it was on Ain't It Cool News) that one of the show's exec. producers gave an interview where he said they'd be scaling back the krypto-villains. He said they had to use them week in, week out the first part of the season so that viewers who were tuning in for the first time (partway through the season, from word-of-mouth or whatever) would get all the rules of the show, like the fact that kryptonite can give humans powers as easily as it can take away Clark's. Once everybody's familiar, they can scale that back and work on some longer-term storylines (like the current one with Lex and Victoria, that finally got interesting near the end of the Feb. 12 episode).

Some of the rumored plotlines I've heard--including crossovers with other comic-book characters and Metropolites due to meet Clark in later life--seem too good to be true (and probably are), but they'd be fun.

Now, if they can just make it so it's not on opposite 24, my VCR could rest a little easier.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry. The show has been renewed for a second season. WB is very happy with the ratings, which are getting better. Also, if you like the show. Here is a great website devoted to it. www.kryptonsite.com They have lots of good info on the show. Including future episode info and the music that is played on each episode.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The one rumor is a guest appearance is an acquaintance of Lex, Bruce Wayne - I guess they'd run in the same social circle being rich and all

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
This is my favorite show running right now. Could they have cast a better Lex?? He is my favorite character. I also look forward to some longer story arcs.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
My 10 year old son is always there watching it with me too. He pointed out to me that watching this show is like watching a Star Wars prequel each week. We KNOW who Vader is, but what make him turn out the way he did?
Wow, he's a pretty bright and insightful kid.

I agree with you all, this show is one of the best out there today.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Without a doubt Smallville is one of the pleasant surprises of the season. I think it's so good because it treats it's subject matter with respect. It does'nt go for the cheap campiness it could. It was well cast with a bunch of really good young actors led by a terrific Lex Luthor in Rosenbaum, and Clark Kent in Welling. Even Clark's Parents are excellent led by Ex Duke of Hazzard Schneider (who'd thought) It's one of my personal fav's this year along with 24 and Enterprise this has beenoneof the better new TV Season's in Years.

Theres a terrific Smallville Page out there thatfeatures the news on upcoming eps, the music featured in the show anda message board. Indeference to the HTF I won't link it, but do a search it's worth it.

Here's hoping Smallville Gets a Box set treatment ala Buffy.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Speculation time: It seems that the kryptonite affects humans with weird results. Why hasn't it affected Lana since she did wear that K-necklace around alot for the past year.

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot agree with all of you more. I, too, am a huge Superman fan. I remember back in the 60s using my mom and dads bed as a way to get some air time imagining myself as the caped superhero. (I was only 5 yrs old at the time).

Anyway, the relationships are excellent in the show making all of them endearing. Even providing some sympathy with some of the antagonists.

The Lex-Clark friendship is the best of the new show. The actor that plays Lex is fantastic as well as the young Clark.

Others made fun of the casting choices of Clark's parents but I have been equally impressed. The former Dukes of Hazzard star has offered incredible depth to an otherwise limited character.

I am glad to hear that the writers are getting away from all of the kryptonite related stories because not only does it get old but flies in the face of the Superman myth at times.

Excellent show! I hope it is on many more seasons.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The only suggestion I have is to rely less on some of the meteor'ish superfreek episodes
I don't normally plan to watch this show, but everytime I did catch it the story was all the same. Someone comes in contact with kryponite, they turn psycho and superkid stops them...I've seen maybe 3 episodes and they were all the same. Maybe thats why I don't watch it anymore I didn't feel I had to :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
A Lot of the eps have had this as wraparound to subplots concerning, Clark, Lex and Lana. It's those continuing subplots that make Smallville very good.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Here's a Super-Geek fact for ya...

In the current Superman Comics continuity it has been mentioned that Clark's favorite book is "To Kill a Mockingbird" Now we know that Lex introduced it to him!

My only problem with the whole Lex-Clark thing is...

How will we get to a future where Lex doesn't know that Clark is Supes? Fer cryin' out loud, Clark isn't even wearing glasses right now. Maybe Lex gets a case of "Super-amnesia"!

-Ric

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent last post Ric. Good point about the fact that Lex sees Clark sans-glasses. Possibly they will look for a different disguise for Clark. The glasses thing has always been a joke anyway. Of course, they may never get the series much pass the Smallville thing anyway. They will probably have Clark keep his powers in the dark while he is in College as well not introducing Superman until he is an adult working in Metropolis.

Mike, I know what you mean about the same crisis surrounding kryptonite every week. Call Smallville a "Super Soap".

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
well you're probably talking 20 years down the road and clark will beef up quite a bit before then, but it's always been will suspension of disbelief with supes anyhow

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks