Truly horrible commentary track: THIRTEEN

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    This should have been an engrossing and insightful track. The film has a serious subject, yet the commentary with the two lead actors is little more than silly anecdotes and teenage giggling. HUGE disappointment. I'd have liked to learn more about the research done in writing and filming this rather powerful movie... anything which would be more instructive to adults who might be losing touch with their teenage children. The commentary is, however, nothing but completely unnecessary fluff.

2. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I'm actually not surprised--if it's the writer and the actress, I'd expect the commentary to be shallow. The movie was as well, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the acting was good, and I liked the editing and the cinematography--but the story, the screenplay, it was basically an afterschool special with cursewords in it. No depth.

Maybe I need to check it out again, but hearing that the commentary track was mostly teenage giggling isn't really surprising to me.

3. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Sounds a lot like the commentary track on Bowling for Columbine.

4. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I hated the cinematography, it looked like first-season NYPD BLUE outtakes. THIRTEEN played like Larry Clark-light to me. Everybody was making such a big deal over how it was co-written by an actual 13-year old- frankly, it was obvious to me, and not in a good way.

Oh, and if you think the commentary is bad, take a look at the "making of" featurette. Talk about worthless!

The only good thing about the film were the lead performances, which are a whole lot better than the tepid material deserves.

Vincent

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I've heard some "truly horrible" commentaries and don't think this one qualifies. My thoughts from my review:

"They cover elements like the origins of the flick and the relationship between Hardwicke and Reed, details of the shoot, challenges and benefits of low-budget movies, and production design. We hear a number of interesting anecdotes from the set, mostly as the actors offer the little details and oddities. More than a few dead spots occur, though, and we get a fair amount of generic praise as well. Still, this manages to become a fairly useful and informative chat about the flick."

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Haven't checked out the DVD, but I gotta agree with the detractors: to me the movie was a mildly "adult" after-school special, mixed with a healthy dose of Single White Female. Not a terrible movie by any stretch, but not one I'm anxious to visit with anytime soon.

(Holly Hunter was the big standout for me.)